The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Be-Friend Or Let Be?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Cypher Posted - 25/05/2012 : 07:41:28
G'day guys,
I find myself in 2 minds about what to do with my corn.

She's nearly 3 years old now & unfortunately last year she was diagnosed with a respiratory tract infection. This meant that for 10 days straight, my missus & I had to grab hold of her every day & inject her ourselves with antibiotics.

Suffice to say, it stressed the snake & made it more fearful of humans.
I honestly don't blame it for losing trust in us after that ordeal.

My dilemma is my missus & my son want me to try & befriend it again so they can handle her.
Whilst I'm just happy enough to home a "wild" snake & leave her be.

Any thoughts?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lotabob Posted - 25/05/2012 : 23:11:16
Time for the whole family to enjoy the snake fully again. They don't hold grudges, it won't take long for it to realise your not going
to stab it every time you go near. lol.
eeji Posted - 25/05/2012 : 20:36:18
I too would be happy with a 'wild' snake, but if your wife n kids would like to handle him then I think thats what you should do :)
Sta~ple Posted - 25/05/2012 : 20:14:50
I'd get it friendly, you don't know what will happen in x amount of time, I'm not saying you will but you may sadly one day have to try and rehome and getting a home for a friendly snake is easier.
Auld Baldy Posted - 25/05/2012 : 13:27:42
I agree with SB, go for making pals again. I don't know what the memory span of a Corn is but it is worth giving it a try.

It worked with previously neglected snakes with me. It might take a bit of time but little and often should work.
smart bunny Posted - 25/05/2012 : 10:28:37
Aww what a shame :( I would definitely try to get her to trust you again, she just needs you to handle her little and often until she realises she'd not going to get jabbed every time you touch her! In my opinion I don't see you've got anything to lose by trying and failing, but both you and the snake could have a lot to gain if it works :)
Mamma Posted - 25/05/2012 : 09:18:16
The sock trick worked for me with an adult corn I took in who was very grumpy etc. xx
Simmy_82 Posted - 25/05/2012 : 09:03:23
If it was be i would try to befriend it again. You could try the sock trick, carry a clean sock around with you for 24-48hrs so it gathers you scent, leave it in the viv for a few days so that the snake gets used to scent and realises that its not a threat. Then starting with short handling sessions. If she bites you try not to flinch (it'll only feel like the rough side of velco apparently), try not to let it think you fear her. Gradually increase the length of the handling sessions, and i am sure she will calm down a little. That whay your whole family can benefit from these great pets.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000