The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 corn snake goin nuts

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sparky_marky84 Posted - 09/05/2012 : 16:46:40
hi folks just a quick question i have adopted a 3year old corn snake i have only had it 2days went to try take it out of its viv and noticed its tail was rattling (vibrating) and it tried 2 strike me its now very angry and going crazy in its viv but its feeding day today and i really need 2 clean its viv last owner neglected it and has not cleaned it in over a month which peed me off thts why a took it just wondering if this is normal and will it calm down any advice would be greatfull thanks.

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
smart bunny Posted - 21/05/2012 : 19:34:11
Sorry to read this :(
Cazzy Posted - 19/05/2012 : 21:22:40
quote:
Originally posted by sparky_marky84

well its a sad day 2day for me the other half made me give up my corn sanke she said she does not feel safe in the same house as it because it keeps biteing me and has bit my son so gave it 2 one of my work collegues

aww thats a shame
sparky_marky84 Posted - 19/05/2012 : 21:04:26
well its a sad day 2day for me the other half made me give up my corn sanke she said she does not feel safe in the same house as it because it keeps biteing me and has bit my son so gave it 2 one of my work collegues
marlin Posted - 18/05/2012 : 18:36:37
Have you tried leaving the viv open for him to venture out on his own? kellogs can ba a bit grumpy if I go in to grab him out but once he is out he is so sweet and docile. We struggled initially and after his week of 'solitary confinement' we got him out daily for just a few minutes at a time. He didn't like it but we perservered. Now when we go to open his viv he comes to us. If he doesn't we know he's about to shed or wants to be left alone!
MandyH Posted - 17/05/2012 : 22:30:42
Hi, I have a Carolina corn, 9 months old, who behaved the same. Was fine for the first few days, then started striking, tail rattling, etc. both my son and I would leave him when he did it, as we were both nervous! He soon learned that he could get out of being handled when he misbehaved! We left him for a week, then my son started to handle him every day, except after feed. First time was about 1 minute, lots of wriggling, bit of a workout for both of them. It's now been 2 weeks, he still strikes if he's not taken out quick enough, but has never bitten, just hits with his nose. Once he's out, he calms down quickly and enjoys the new sights and sounds, was out for about 15 minutes today! Basically, just time, patience and confidence! Good luck :)
smart bunny Posted - 16/05/2012 : 22:04:05
Oh and PS - if he looks all dull with cloudy eyes... leave him alone until he's shed!!
smart bunny Posted - 16/05/2012 : 22:03:00
Please give him a little longer before you decide to get rid! Give him more of a chance to settle in. Make sure you try to get him out when the kids aren't around (and possibly your wife as well if she is also nervous) as any loud noises/sudden movements from them he's going to be a lot worse. Also, it is common for corns to be a little defensive in their vivs - he'll probably be absolutely fine once outside the viv. I know it must be a lot more daunting with an adult, but even my hatchlings still dash away from me when I go to get them out (although Corno is getting better and will sometimes venture out on her own!). I would try going in, removing any hides so he's got nowhere to slither off to, trying to grab him (gently!) about a third of the way down his body so you can support him and just get him out of there! Good luck, just bear in mind, the more you try to get him out but then give up and leave him alone, the more he thinks his behaviour is successful and the right way to go!
lotabob Posted - 16/05/2012 : 21:19:18
Just see it from the snakes point of view, its scared, all these new smells, sounds and 9 days in a giant bald monkey has tried to eat him. It takes time to settle them down, I dont know its history but with a bit of time, patience and understanding it will calm down, snakes aren't aggressive animals unless you are a rodent then you might feel differently, any reaction to you is out of fear not aggression.
ScalySituation Posted - 16/05/2012 : 20:18:30
I dont think you should rehome him, he'll calm down

maybe if you open the viv and let him just come to you and then scoop him up?
Sta~ple Posted - 16/05/2012 : 20:17:44
Greetings from the kingsnake :p

Corn bites are the same as kings, they make you jump more than they hurt. You haven't had it long, new environment along maybe with the not as best previous owner care, plus they can get a bit moody with this season. It is not normal for a corn like this, it's more the kind of behaviour my kingsnake does but that saying, each snake is different.
viraleye Posted - 16/05/2012 : 20:14:57
Something i found helped with my hatchie when i was being rattled at was to put my hand in his rub but let him come to me. I did this for a week of just resting my hand in the rub for 5 minutes every day and he soon realised i was no harm to him.

Might be worth a try?
sparky_marky84 Posted - 16/05/2012 : 19:53:56
well i tried 2 take the corn snake out its viv again today and yet again it keeps striking me think am at a lose with it now it just seems very agressive its now goin nuts in its viv hitting its window kids and the missus are scared and want it out so looks like am gony need 2 find a new home for it i am gutted
a2c7 Posted - 09/05/2012 : 21:41:30
I've not been bitten by an adult snake but I've been savaged a few times by a determined teenage kingsnake.

It is no where near as painful as a hamster bite. If the snake gets you in a defensive move it'll just be a very quick sensation, the shock of it is worse than what you feel..and you might not feel anything. There may be a bit of blood if they catch you properly but often their teeth don't pierce the skin. If the snake wants to eat you it might hurt a bit more as they'll be putting a lot more pressure on, but I think we've determined that your lovely snake isn't trying to eat you, only scare you off.

If your snake does latch on and starts to try and swallow you then put the tap on gently and put the snake's head under the water (works every time with Ginn.) Whatever you do, don't try and pull yourself out of the snake's mouth as you could break off the teeth and do more damage to both of you I'm told.
sparky_marky84 Posted - 09/05/2012 : 18:47:09
av not been bit yet whats it like is it painfull i was told its not as sore as a hamster bite and thanks for the bald monkey comment lol and i forgot to say i fed him earlier 2day he snached it rite away and dragged it into its den
lotabob Posted - 09/05/2012 : 18:25:41
Patience & understanding is the key. Snake is currently not sure where he is, nothing is familiar and in its mind everything is out to get it. Takes these scaredy snakes a week or two to realise he is in no danger in his new surroundings. Even if the vivarium is exactly the same as before he will still be bombarded by unfamiliar smells and he is working out do these smells mean danger etc. After a week of working these things out you can then introduce the giant bald monkey to him (you) and show him your not a predator and actually a climbing frame. Taming them to you is all part of the fun and you have a King snake so getting bit shouldn't be unfamiliar to you, lol.
a33272 Posted - 09/05/2012 : 18:12:08
quote:
Originally posted by Mamma

you can use the scent trick. Carry something with you for 24 hrs. Like a sock or something. Pop it in his housing. Make him become accustomed to your scent xx

Tis OK snake will do that when he bites him
Mamma Posted - 09/05/2012 : 17:55:13
you can use the scent trick. Carry something with you for 24 hrs. Like a sock or something. Pop it in his housing. Make him become accustomed to your scent xx
sparky_marky84 Posted - 09/05/2012 : 17:40:46
thanks for the advice much appreciated
sparky_marky84 Posted - 09/05/2012 : 17:37:39
yes i do i have a 15week old king snake its in another room
Auld Baldy Posted - 09/05/2012 : 17:26:54
Here we go with another Snake Whispering session.

The snake probably hasn't been handled regularly so you need to get it used to you and being handled. The tail rattling and striking are defensive moves to scare you off. You appear as a big predator to him and he wants you to go away. You should give him regular handling sessions, maybe a couple of times a day of about 5 minutes at a time and gradually increase it. He will eventually accept you and calm down.

First, don't bother with feeding for now. I'd suggest putting him in a (RUB) temporary tub and strip the viv and give it a good clean and replace with fresh substrate (or newspapers for now).

Carry on handling as you are doing in the pictures, let him pass over your hands and arms but don't grab him, just 'walk your hands' under him. Let him explore and he will calm down when he realises he is not on the menu. It could take several sessions like this until he fully trusts you but he will come round.

Make sure that there are plenty hidey holes for him. One at the warm end and one at the cool is the minimum but you can stack it with loo rolls, tissue boxes, ice cream tubs etc.. More the merrier.

See how things develop over about a week and then try feeding him. Put him in a feeding tub or tray and jiggle a (medium) mouse by the tail. He should strike and demolish the mouse. Leave him to swallow and stop squirming for several minutes and then return to his viv. Leave to digest for about 48 hours before continuing with the handling but watch out for the 'tail lift' as a poop warning.

Don't worry about getting a tag, they don't tear lumps and barely break the skin. Let us know how you progress and fire away with any other questions. Handsome looking chap, the snake that is.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000