The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Heat lamp

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
serena_08 Posted - 15/03/2012 : 21:13:45
Do corns need one?

We have bought my mum a 3ish yr old corn today and here is what we bought:

3ft viv, heat mat, aspen, analogue thermometer, basking bulb and holder and some decor.

he tried to sell us a dimming stat for the bulb, but not a stat for the mat. Now, all is set up without the bulb, and a stat for the mat is on its way because I was adamant we should get one. I made a show of myself arguing wit the man about the mat stat as he said 'it is unnecessary to use a stat' and we 'NEED the lamp as corns are semi-ar-something and like to bask.'

the heat lamp is now away just incase something happens and the mat goes out of use, and we have bought some LED strips from ikea for lighting.

I got somewhat confused about what was needed and not needed.

Sorry about length of post!
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Georgina Posted - 15/03/2012 : 21:31:12
quote:
Originally posted by Okeetee Mick

quote:
Originally posted by georginasweeting

one or the other, mats are the norm. a stat is needed for any heat source and a gaurd also if using a bulb. you need two digital thermometers one at each end. i tend to put both on the hot end for a hour to double check they read the same. turn the mat off until the stat gets her x

Or both! I use both in my 4ft vivs but only mats in the 3ft ones as I find the ambient temp can get a little warmer than I like.

or both, personal choice, i didnt mean it the way it sounded x
Dancross0 Posted - 15/03/2012 : 21:25:58
The lamp is not needed. Corns are diurnal, and are most active at dusk and dawn.

A mat and stat are all you need, set to around 27-30C at the warm end. The thermometer and thermostat probe should be placed in the middle of the mat at one end of the viv to create the warm end.

Okeetee Mick Posted - 15/03/2012 : 21:24:20
quote:
Originally posted by georginasweeting

one or the other, mats are the norm. a stat is needed for any heat source and a gaurd also if using a bulb. you need two digital thermometers one at each end. i tend to put both on the hot end for a hour to double check they read the same. turn the mat off until the stat gets her x

Or both! I use both in my 4ft vivs but only mats in the 3ft ones as I find the ambient temp can get a little warmer than I like.
Georgina Posted - 15/03/2012 : 21:17:16

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000