The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 did it do right?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
claire_daz Posted - 14/03/2012 : 19:55:17
we took our snakes to be probed tuesday (feed day)all went well ... we got two girl's and the lady in the reptile shop said that we should put sizzle up a feed from small mouse to medium took this on board got the girls home and fed pop's she wolfed it down so then it was sizzles turn we fed both in tub's ..so she starts eating mouse and about half way down the mouse popped open the belly of the mouse was facing up... she ended up with her head and eyes buried in the mouse tummy with a flap of mouse skin covering her head she started to rear up and jerk around.... i swiftly put hand in tub and gentley eased the skin back and under her nose... she finnshed the rest of the mouse with out help was i right in helping her
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
smart bunny Posted - 16/03/2012 : 09:48:46
That's interesting lotabob - I'd often wondered how they breathe whilst eating lol!
claire_daz Posted - 15/03/2012 : 19:26:52
oh god no i would never try to pull mouse out i know there teeth are very little i just pull the skin of mouse apart so it was not covering her head think she was struggling about cos she could not see very nice to know that its the bottom of the mouth though thanks
lotabob Posted - 15/03/2012 : 18:11:16
It would have sorted itself out, it wouldn't have suffocated as they breathe from the bottom of their mouths not the top and stick out their glottis (think of it as a 'my mouth is full of mouse' snorkel). I've intervened when things have looked beyond their capabilities and I've also left them to it too so really its upto you, a little bit of assistance is OK just dont ever try pulling the prey item out of the mouth as you are likely to take the snake's teeth with it.
smart bunny Posted - 15/03/2012 : 11:43:45
It sounds to me like you did the right thing, especially as she carried on feeding OK. It's tricky to know what is right/wrong - obviously in Marc's case it was wrong but in yours right lol!!
claire_daz Posted - 14/03/2012 : 21:53:44
i thought she was suffercating as her mouth was and face was completely covered by mouse skin...
Georgina Posted - 14/03/2012 : 21:44:57
once lightning got the arms of a mouse stuck in the corners of his mouth and started twisting to try and get them in and started flapping around and getting really stressed, so i poke one of them in and he was 100 fine and went about everything as normal. x
Auld Baldy Posted - 14/03/2012 : 21:34:16
She doesn't appear to have been bothered if she went on to finish it. Probably would have been more stressed if you left her to sort it herself.
claire_daz Posted - 14/03/2012 : 20:28:00
the popped snake was not a problem it was the fact it was suck over her head like a mask it covered her face
marc_sg Posted - 14/03/2012 : 20:24:10
you could have disturbed her more by trying to help. i had one pop. tried helpping and silva chucked it out a refused feed for another week. then it happened ago a few months ago. so i just left her to get on with it. and she finished it with no probs. maybe if theres a next time just see how it goes and give them a wipe after

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000