The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 New Snake Owner

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
OloBurrows Posted - 02/03/2012 : 12:14:36
HI, new to the forum and new to snakes. Just got myself an amber blood read and have a couple of things I could use some advice with.

1) feeding: I was planning while he's on pinkies to feed him one mid week and then two at the weekend. Does this sound ok or would it be too much?

2) heat: The set up I have is a plastic tank with a grilled lid. A heatpad set to 30 degrees on the outside as the man in the shop told me. My concern is that the air temperature is nowhere near 30. At the moment its 17. My concern is that he isn't getting the heat he needs. He seems to have decided to be one that hides alot while he settles in and he burrows into the woodchip under the hide at the warm end. Is this just because he's nervous or because the heat isn't right?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Okeetee Mick Posted - 03/03/2012 : 17:05:35
quote:
Originally posted by OloBurrows

Thanks for advice. I do have a thermostat but the probe is on the mat outside the faun (as I was instructed to do so). Do i need to get a temp reading from inside aswell?

Take your temp reading from inside the faun, the probe is in the correct place positioned on the mat outside, adjust the stat so your warm end is around 28 degrees.
darrkang3l Posted - 03/03/2012 : 16:57:07
Welcome! :)
OloBurrows Posted - 03/03/2012 : 16:29:22
Thanks for advice. I do have a thermostat but the probe is on the mat outside the faun (as I was instructed to do so). Do i need to get a temp reading from inside aswell?
kdlang Posted - 02/03/2012 : 17:22:07
Do you have a digital thermometer to check the temperatures? I'm assuming you have a thermostat since you mentioned setting the mat to 30 so at least the shop was good enough to recommend one.

And it is normal for a snake to hide away alot of the time so don't worry. You will probably find that he is coming out when it is dark.
smart bunny Posted - 02/03/2012 : 13:41:17
Hiya :)

Have a read through this thread, it's an excellent 'how to setup'! http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9878
a33272 Posted - 02/03/2012 : 13:17:31
feed as mentioned every 5-6 days

regards heating its not the mat temp u need to set its the floor temp inside the faun. the bottom of the faun inside above heat mat needs to be 27-29 so u might find the temp of the mat has to be higher to achieve this
Okeetee Mick Posted - 02/03/2012 : 13:12:18
If he's a hatchling one pinkie every 5/7 days is all he needs. Don't be concerned with the air tempreature it's the mat and substrate on the mat that you go by, aim for around 28 as 30 is the absolute max.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000