The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Do your snakes care who handles them?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Hissyfit Posted - 28/01/2012 : 18:51:58
I find it really sweet when the snakes respond to my voice and come out to see us when they know we're there. Last night I had Falco out, he's used to my 11 yr old Daughter and I holding him,(and doesn't like my Husband looking at him lol) and my 14 yr old Son asked to hold him as he's not seen him in a while... Falco was all arched and had as little of him as possible touching my Son, when I got closer and put my hand out to take him he literally jumped into my arms! I've never seen anything like that before, and he was so relaxed to be back with me again. I didn't think he would be so bothered, and wondered if anyone else had such behaviour in their snake?
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Katie.Dublin Posted - 29/01/2012 : 20:15:14
I'm not sure about handling but one of my corns didn't eat for three weeks when I was on holidays one time! The chap who was calling in to mind them tried to feed him three times with no luck. He strike fed the day I came back :P Probably a massive coincidence but made me feel special..!
meggi Posted - 29/01/2012 : 19:42:09
Toby minds who handles him
Sta~ple Posted - 29/01/2012 : 18:55:18
Lately my king cares a whole lot. I will be snuggling and cuddling him and he will be all gone. Sister or mum walks into the room he goes proper mental, start hissing, flinging himself everywhere it is quite scary! The corns don't care at all really.
herriotfan Posted - 29/01/2012 : 16:51:21
Most of mine are happy to be handled by other people but one freaks out with anyone else. They all slither in my direction when they've had enough whoever holds them!
sue2012 Posted - 29/01/2012 : 16:40:19
only my daughter can hold my big boy ozzy if anyone else trys to get him out his viv he goes all stiff and jumps away and if we have hold of him out his viv he is never that happy but if my daughter puts her hand out in front of him he is up her arm and on her shoulder quicker than any thing lol
smart bunny Posted - 29/01/2012 : 13:32:05
Corno is perfectly happy with either me or hubby (possibly happier with him actually which I find annoying as I do all the cleaning out/changing water and hold her more etc lol!). She is starting to accept my son as he himself is getting more confident and better at handling. My (almost) 4 yr old is too, er, not jumpy exactly, as she's not scared, but she won't keep her hands still lol, so she's only allowed to let Corno slither across her as yet, and Corno certainly won't settle on her but will quite happily climb up her etc.

I think some of it will be familiarity etc (I try to always use the same handwash etc so I always smell the same) and some just how confident and calm the handler is.
Hissyfit Posted - 29/01/2012 : 10:40:00
I'm sure they can pick up on fear. When my snake phobic Husband forced himself to hold Voldemort, he was very skittish and jumpy (the snake not husband lol)and is never like that with anyone used to holding him. Interesting to see quite a few have a preference to who they want to go to, more sensitive than you would imagine
paulie78 Posted - 29/01/2012 : 10:17:14
Mine dont seem bothered who holds them however if the persons a bit nervous they get a bit jittery so i wonder if snakes are like dogs and pick up or smell fear lol
c00ki3z Posted - 29/01/2012 : 10:01:27
Because my male Fire Solaire is really skittish my OH will not hold him, but my Amber (Carolina 8months old) doesn't mind either of us and is very relaxed, she wanted to go sleep on my OH's hand cause they're so warm, I had to take her off in case she pooped on him. :/
Spreebok Posted - 28/01/2012 : 21:34:10
I dunno, but I have noticed that Holly will try everything he can to get back over to me if someone else holds him! Lister is happy to flop on whoever.
Tiny Kryten though, he will ignore everyone, but when he sees me, he zooms over and strives to climb out!
eeji Posted - 28/01/2012 : 20:04:02
mine aren't bothered who holds them, a hand to climb on is a hand to climb on :)
Redshift Spec Posted - 28/01/2012 : 18:59:40
Frank only likes me getting him out because the OH jumped a few times when he moved whilst trying to pickup. So when sh puts her hand in he legs it by if I do he just sits there (usually). Once he is out he couldn't care less
ScalySituation Posted - 28/01/2012 : 18:54:11
dont think so, if everyone smells the same i dont think it rlly matters for sonny :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000