The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Heating Mat - On the side or under?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Redshift Spec Posted - 23/01/2012 : 17:48:33
Alright Guys and Gals,

Another dumb question. The guys at Pilbara Reptiles in Gloucester have told me to put the heat mat on the side of the viv/faun and not under it as it could cook the snake. What are your thoughts on it?

13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sta~ple Posted - 24/01/2012 : 18:48:41
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr
Brilliant analogy, I shall remember that and steal it to use as my own in the future. Not really, I shall credit to you

I feel like a snake at night :p I have my electric blanket and I'm sat in bed getting all warm looking at my snakes :P

quote:
Originally posted by Redshift Spec

Awesome, the reptile shop I go in has some really really good stuff and they are renown in the area but have given me some duff advice. I'm thinking of getting a small sheet of glass and raising it off the ground slightly to go in the viv (when it turns up). Cheers guys!

We have a place like that here, highly rated by everyone and known well for their good (well I wouldn't know, people rant and rave it's good XD) burm/redtail/big snake advise but when it comes to smaller, more common pet snakes like corns, they are a bit clueless!
Redshift Spec Posted - 24/01/2012 : 11:32:27
A long time ago with my mate who lived in Worcester and had a few snakes. I was extremely hung over at the time. ;)
a33272 Posted - 24/01/2012 : 09:23:16
ive only ever seen the sign when passing have never got in there yet, must try to next time in that way. haha yeah he is a big dog german shepherd i think, but not to good on dog breds....

did you ever go to pilbara when it was at Newent under differant name?
Redshift Spec Posted - 24/01/2012 : 00:48:31
Yeah I was in there the other day. I Live in Hereford so go past Ross to get to Gloucester. It seems cool, got a limited selection of non live stock but they have a good display. I like going over to Pilbara purely because of the massive massive dog and its nice to look at all the dwa stuff.....
a33272 Posted - 23/01/2012 : 23:11:48
redshiftspec..... have you been to the rep place in ross??
Redshift Spec Posted - 23/01/2012 : 21:57:14
I've moved it under and the tank is soo much warmer, the stat is at 29-30 degrees, (the thermom is in the post). I got Frank out earlier (before I moved the mat) and he was very cold to the touch and didn't really move much for a while... Just sat there, then he got up my sleeve and sat there for a bit. After that he was his normal perky self. So definitely a good move there I thinks!
Kehhlyr Posted - 23/01/2012 : 19:35:20
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

................heatmats kinda work by contact, just as an electric blanket warms the bed and covers but not the room itself therefore having it on the wall seems silly unless its throwing off silly amounts of heat.

Brilliant analogy, I shall remember that and steal it to use as my own in the future. Not really, I shall credit to you

a33272 Posted - 23/01/2012 : 18:45:23
i use pilbara occasionally an this is the only thing that gets me about them, as said mats are contact heaters so for something to get heat from it it has to touch it, ive never seen a snake manage to curl up on the side or back of a viv yet. a mat mounted that way will only be any use to warm the air up, an even then it will only manage it to a few degrees higher.

a stated mat on the bottom will cause no issues what so ever, thats the way most caresheets say to use it an its how most the majority of people use them
Mort13 Posted - 23/01/2012 : 18:43:44
Yep,as said above,if a heatmat isn't statted it'll cause burns wherever its placed. If statted theres no issue. I have 7 of my snakes in tubs/RUBS placed on top of heatmats and theres no issues at all.
Corns will get their heat from the ground thats been warmed by the sun in the wild.
Redshift Spec Posted - 23/01/2012 : 18:40:56
Awesome, the reptile shop I go in has some really really good stuff and they are renown in the area but have given me some duff advice. I'm thinking of getting a small sheet of glass and raising it off the ground slightly to go in the viv (when it turns up). Cheers guys!
Sta~ple Posted - 23/01/2012 : 18:08:05
It wont cook the snake if you have a thermostat, even if you put the heatmat on the side without a stat it could burn is snake slithers on it :/ heatmats kinda work by contact, just as an electric blanket warms the bed and covers but not the room itself therefore having it on the wall seems silly unless its throwing off silly amounts of heat.
CentricMalteser85 Posted - 23/01/2012 : 18:04:00
if it is a plastic faunarium, you can put inside on the floor but properly themrostatted as stated before

however sometimes even when themrostatted correctly it can cause the plastic to bend in time from the heat,

so as a precaution i suggest using a tile mat, place the heat mat on that, then one third of the faunarium over it, with the thermostat probe and digital thermometre probe inside the faunarium over the heated area

also i use a thin layer of substrate sort of sparingly for the warm side under the hide, jus a preference, but down to the keeper to decide
Auld Baldy Posted - 23/01/2012 : 17:56:48
Heat mat with a properly set up thermostat and digital thermometer on the inside floor of the viv, under a scattering of substrate will NOT cook the snake.

The heat given off from a heat mat is not the same as a grill toaster.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000