The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 What Would I Need For The Heat Lamp Route?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Hissyfit Posted - 17/01/2012 : 07:17:51
My new viv stack is almost built, and after asking questions have just had a reply saying I may not be able to use heat mats, but could fit heat lamps & lighting no problem. Having never used anything other than heat mat & stat what exactly would I need to use heat lamps? I don't even know the first thing about it, or what type of stat I would need, or how many ? Any advice much appreciated
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Hissyfit Posted - 17/01/2012 : 19:14:17
Thanks for that, hopefully I can add the heat mats with no problem, even if I need to cut the holes for the wires myself
Red123 Posted - 17/01/2012 : 15:19:59
quote:
Originally posted by Hissyfit

Thanks all. I think I'll have to wait until it arrives before getting it fitted out, had planned to have everything ready beforehand, but will just wait now. I have no idea why he thinks there would be a problem with heat mats, will have to ask him.. and Red123 your reply has me wondering if perhaps he's made a mistake in telling me to use heat lamps in a stack

If you go down heat lamp route then you will need some way of insulating the viv above the heat lamp so the heat is reflected back into the viv and not up into the viv above. Mats cause no heat transfer in stacks. As an example I had a lizard in the bottom viv with a baskin site of 45-50c. This caused the viv above to reach 33c within minutes without any heat source in it. You would need really good insulating or at least a 2" air gap between the vivs to allow for that heat to escape.
a33272 Posted - 17/01/2012 : 12:24:57
if it corns going in them them mats will be fine. as said heat lamps cause alot of overhead heat that transfers to whats above it and sometimes this is higher than what the temps need to be.
Hissyfit Posted - 17/01/2012 : 12:09:08
Thanks all. I think I'll have to wait until it arrives before getting it fitted out, had planned to have everything ready beforehand, but will just wait now. I have no idea why he thinks there would be a problem with heat mats, will have to ask him.. and Red123 your reply has me wondering if perhaps he's made a mistake in telling me to use heat lamps in a stack
Red123 Posted - 17/01/2012 : 08:38:37
I use heat mats in my stack with no problems. The problems start when trying to use heat lamps in stacks, heat transfers between vivs.
Auld Baldy Posted - 17/01/2012 : 07:55:45
What is the (possible) problem with using heat mats in a stack?
Simmy_82 Posted - 17/01/2012 : 07:39:17
Think for lights it's a dimming thermostat you need. Not sure what bulb you'd need tho. You'd also need a cage fur the bulb.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000