Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 What Would I Need For The Heat Lamp Route?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2012 :  07:17:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My new viv stack is almost built, and after asking questions have just had a reply saying I may not be able to use heat mats, but could fit heat lamps & lighting no problem. Having never used anything other than heat mat & stat what exactly would I need to use heat lamps? I don't even know the first thing about it, or what type of stat I would need, or how many ? Any advice much appreciated

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2012 :  07:39:17  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Think for lights it's a dimming thermostat you need. Not sure what bulb you'd need tho. You'd also need a cage fur the bulb.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2012 :  07:55:45  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What is the (possible) problem with using heat mats in a stack?

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2012 :  08:38:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use heat mats in my stack with no problems. The problems start when trying to use heat lamps in stacks, heat transfers between vivs.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2012 :  12:09:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all. I think I'll have to wait until it arrives before getting it fitted out, had planned to have everything ready beforehand, but will just wait now. I have no idea why he thinks there would be a problem with heat mats, will have to ask him.. and Red123 your reply has me wondering if perhaps he's made a mistake in telling me to use heat lamps in a stack

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2012 :  12:24:57  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if it corns going in them them mats will be fine. as said heat lamps cause alot of overhead heat that transfers to whats above it and sometimes this is higher than what the temps need to be.

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2012 :  15:19:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hissyfit

Thanks all. I think I'll have to wait until it arrives before getting it fitted out, had planned to have everything ready beforehand, but will just wait now. I have no idea why he thinks there would be a problem with heat mats, will have to ask him.. and Red123 your reply has me wondering if perhaps he's made a mistake in telling me to use heat lamps in a stack

If you go down heat lamp route then you will need some way of insulating the viv above the heat lamp so the heat is reflected back into the viv and not up into the viv above. Mats cause no heat transfer in stacks. As an example I had a lizard in the bottom viv with a baskin site of 45-50c. This caused the viv above to reach 33c within minutes without any heat source in it. You would need really good insulating or at least a 2" air gap between the vivs to allow for that heat to escape.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2012 :  19:14:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that, hopefully I can add the heat mats with no problem, even if I need to cut the holes for the wires myself

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000