The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Vivarium at a young age

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Redshift Spec Posted - 15/01/2012 : 23:30:01
Hi Guys,

I've got Frank and he is 6 months old. Currently he is in a little Faunarium but I really really want to get a vivarium (36x18x18) to house him that would look awesome on the shelf he is situated. When would be the soonest i could get away with upgrading his house? The chap in the shop said about a year but he also said he only needs feeding once a week and only needs 1 hide because he burrows in the aspen(which contradicts all I've read on here).

Again thank you for all your help (I've been reading a lot on here)

Huw
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Redshift Spec Posted - 16/01/2012 : 19:52:54
quote:
Originally posted by Auld Baldy

There is a "How To: Snake divider" in the DIY section. Hope it helps.

OOPS!! That should be a Viv Divider.

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19448

Is that how you make new snakes? Like worms! Chop em in half and both ends live? Does the tail turn into a head?

On a serious note, Frank had his first feed with us just now..... it.... was..... awesome! He struck and constricted.

smiffy89 Posted - 16/01/2012 : 19:01:50
quote:
Originally posted by Auld Baldy

was worried when i read that bit
Auld Baldy Posted - 16/01/2012 : 18:44:05

Redshift Spec Posted - 16/01/2012 : 18:17:00
The divider sounds like an awesome idea! Thanks for your input guys. I'm going to keep Frank in his Faun for a few months then look into getting a viv and putting a divider in.
smiffy89 Posted - 16/01/2012 : 15:09:58
as bluebird said escaping betwwen glass is an issue(i learnt this 1 the hard way) you could allways put a divider in the vivarium and gradually move it along as corn gets bigger
scottishbluebird Posted - 16/01/2012 : 14:56:07
I should have added that really small snakes seem to have a habit of escaping a viv, you serioulsly have to watch for gaps that you wouldnt think they could fit through
Spreebok Posted - 16/01/2012 : 13:48:02
I'd just stick to a faun for now, less chance of losing him then, especially at that size :P
Hissyfit Posted - 16/01/2012 : 13:41:52
I'm no expert, but a 36x18x18 is huge, and a 6 month old would be lost in there.If you really want to go for it you might want to put a divider in at 2ft, let him get used to the space in that before letting him have the whole space to himself. I have the same size viv for Voldemort, and have a divider in at 2ft, he's 17 months old and 36" long, but I still feel it would be too big for him at the moment.
Redshift Spec Posted - 16/01/2012 : 12:28:26
awesome, I'll leave it a few months as he has been uprooted, moved, shoved into a new place and has these two giants peering at him from a distance when ever he goes for a climb! Thanks for the info :)
Okeetee Mick Posted - 16/01/2012 : 12:12:46
Viv size is fine as others have said, and yes a week at least.
Redshift Spec Posted - 16/01/2012 : 11:35:00
That sounds good. A further question is would i need to leave him a week to get used to the new viv?
Mamma Posted - 16/01/2012 : 10:38:17
echoing again what others have said. If its packed out with loads of hides, foliage etc then the snake might be ok. I have upgraded snakes to vivs and they have been ok with plenty of coverage and hides.
garrie Posted - 16/01/2012 : 09:07:33
"generally" it is best to move corns up based on size rather than age (adult-ness is determined by size with snakes), with the general rule being that the length+width of Viv/faun should be no bigger than the size of the corn. However, as Scottishbluebird has said - many Corns (including my own) moved up a large (nicely packed out) viv before they were supposed to and have been perfectly fine. Just make sure you do fill it well with hides etc and keep an eye of behavioral changes.
scottishbluebird Posted - 16/01/2012 : 02:05:10
I could be wrong, but if there is LOADS of hiding places, fake plants (dunelm mill does fantastic fake ivy/plants really cheap!) aswell as both hides, then it should be ok

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000