The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Feeding Too Big ????

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mattocks123 Posted - 15/01/2012 : 19:11:14
I feed my corns (2-3 months old) fluffs is this ok ?? Is it too big? Could this be why my corn reguged ?

My corn ate last saturday and ate it fine and looked like it digested it fine but, on wednesday he regurgitated, you couldnt tell it was a fluff it had digested quite a bit it was just grey and streched out :)
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mattocks123 Posted - 16/01/2012 : 00:18:33
Thanks for all your help today m8. Im off now. If i have any thurther questions can i contact you through the forum or youtube ??
mattocks123 Posted - 16/01/2012 : 00:17:33
Thanks for all your help today m8. Im off now. If i have any thurther questions can i contact you through the forum or youtube ??
lotabob Posted - 16/01/2012 : 00:10:29
It wont be tomorrow, think Tuesday or Wednesday.

Don't cover the lid, its not got much ventilation as it is. Just leave it, if its cold the snakes will slow right down to preserve energy. It will be fine until Wednesday corns are built strong and get cold conditions in the wild.

If there are any wires going inside the tank the snakes can and will climb up them, they can also stand about 2 thirds of their body up vertically with support.

mattocks123 Posted - 16/01/2012 : 00:02:46
I ordered it tonight so it should be shipped tomorrow so i should be expectig it tomorrow or tuesday ? Plus what can i do for insulation i have placed a bed sheet cover over the top so it covers the lid plus i have put temporary sponge in the holes that they cant seem to reach at the moment (touch wood)
lotabob Posted - 15/01/2012 : 23:57:39
I think this thread went off topic about 4 hours ago lol. As far as I know they do next day delivery, I think mine was supposed to be next day but was delayed if its not next day its 48 hours. Still pretty quick.
mattocks123 Posted - 15/01/2012 : 23:50:35
This is off topic but how long to surryreptiles take to diliver because i want to get heating back on asap and i orderid by cureor (paid the extra)
lotabob Posted - 15/01/2012 : 23:46:59
Erm probably no more than about 6 months. The guide for sizing a suitable enclosure is length+depth=length of snake.
mattocks123 Posted - 15/01/2012 : 23:42:43
If i divied the 2ft i had now how long do you think it will last before i have to get another one ???
lotabob Posted - 15/01/2012 : 23:31:07
Days should be OK but no guarantees. Only way to guarantee it wont cause any issues is to have them split up. You've got a busy few days ahead but you will feel better about it once its all sorted. This stage of getting into the hobby is always the expensive bit (unless you get to my stage and want a green tree Python, those are so expensive) once you put the initial investment in though its a relatively cheap and rewarding pastime. What I was thinking is you could buy 1, 4 foot vivarium and divide it, that will see them through to about a year old, then you buy another vivarium remove the divide in the other one and you've 2 setups for life.

Don't worry G just general chit chat.
gmac Posted - 15/01/2012 : 23:24:34
could have sworn i locked one thread already about co habbing as its already been covered, we dont need another one
mattocks123 Posted - 15/01/2012 : 23:11:46
So they are unlikely to mate at this stage??
And do u think they will be ok together for the next couple of days ???
lotabob Posted - 15/01/2012 : 23:01:29
In the short term 18-20 Degrees C is OK as long as thery aren't fed but one you get the stat the mat will be on so thats not anything to worry about.

You will just have to split them as soon as you can, it is very unlikely at their age that the male is capable of mating but because the male will sexually mature much quicker than the female this is why you cant house them together, the male will one day just realise what those things do down there and then the female is in real trouble. A young male can also injure himself mating too early too but I think if it takes you a few days to fix the set up then it should be OK. Have you considered switching one into a faunarium or even a Really useful box or some other plastic container so long as its escpae proof and ventilated. I bought a plastic underbed box and drilled air holes and used curtain clips to secure the lid. I kept a baby Boa in there for a few weeks while I was sorting out a vivarium for it. Probably cost me about £2 for the box and £30 for the mat-stat and mat, maybe an extra £10 for you for some digital thermometers. It could be a quick temporary fix until you decide on how you want to keep them long term. I prefer wooden vivariums (so much I built my own) they are ideal for keeping snakes in and are a great way of displaying them without been too exposed.
mattocks123 Posted - 15/01/2012 : 22:29:36
the other thing is that, if i turn the light off the temps are going to drop to around 18-20 decrees is this ok as long as they are not fed ???
mattocks123 Posted - 15/01/2012 : 22:26:38
ok so from tomorow i will only turn the light on for viewing purposes only :)

- the only thing i am worried about is leaving them during the day on their own (manly incase they mate)
lotabob Posted - 15/01/2012 : 22:21:01
They come out at dawn and dusk, having a light switch on and off instantly changing night to day and day to night means they totally miss their natural active period. The light from the window shouldn't be direct but they will know whats day and whats night from that and thats all the light they need.

You can turn the light on for viewing but I would say you'd need a less bright light, also if its a fish tank light some are designed for planted aquariums have a very high UV rating to penetrate the water surface, not really suitable for a snake that doesn't really require any UV exposure, if its a special reptile one its likely to be giving off UV too, you dont want too much of it though. Worth finding out what bulb it is etc before using it all day long.
mattocks123 Posted - 15/01/2012 : 22:20:35
O ok i will do that, thanks

Red123 Posted - 15/01/2012 : 22:15:24
The thing is snakes apparently don't show stress like another animal would. Cats/dogs fight using teeth and claws etc same as most other animals and would stop eating lose their fur etc. Snakes tend to just not eat or regurge. They may look happy to you but may well be stressed. With regards to the light I would just put it on when you get in just so you can check on them then turn it off. They will be more active in the evenings without a light on.
mattocks123 Posted - 15/01/2012 : 22:06:06
Well i dont get back from school until 5 by then its dark this is why i turn the light on, plus the tank is sort of out of the way of the window so the sun dosent directly effect the tank. To be honest i dont think they will fight or try to kill each other because they have been lying next to each other most of the day. they dont seem stressed by one another
lotabob Posted - 15/01/2012 : 22:01:04
Nah kill it, use it for viewing if you want but on all the time is a bit much, if light is coming through the window that's all they need. I used to light the vivarium through the day but have found that they all do better without it. I haven't even got round to installing the viewing LED's in the stack yet either.
mattocks123 Posted - 15/01/2012 : 21:54:52
LOOOOOL i wasnt planing on naked ladies anyway lol

So shall i never turn the light on, i normally turn it on in the morning and off around 9-10 oclock at night :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000