The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 DIY wooden viv

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
NiallP Posted - 13/01/2012 : 10:34:56
Hi there, I plan on upgrading Sylar's viv to a wooden one. I will be getting my step father to help as he is a carpenter and can easily 'boerow' wood from his work.

I've read about some woods being dangerous but would they still be dangerous if they were coated in a sealent / varnish? (I would obviously wait a few days for the fumes to disperse)

Many thanks and I hope you all he a merry christmas and a great new year!
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
NiallP Posted - 13/01/2012 : 22:49:39
Yeah could use them :) but there is this some other stuff that begins with f that can be used also. I'll tell my step dad and he will know what is best!
c00ki3z Posted - 13/01/2012 : 22:17:54
quote:
Originally posted by NiallP

I was planning instead of using this plastic sheet that looks wood (I can't remember the name of this item) and I was going to cover the wood I used with that

wood veneers? I'm probably gonna do this when I get two made for my corns :) looks better than just MDF
NiallP Posted - 13/01/2012 : 21:29:14
I was planning instead of using this plastic sheet that looks wood (I can't remember the name of this item) and I was going to cover the wood I used with that
lotabob Posted - 13/01/2012 : 20:07:36
Building a viv out of pine or cedar would be a task to start with.

You are best using MDF or the contiboard type stuff that is plastic coated chip board. Best thing I learn't making mine was pilot holes are a must to stop wood splitting.
smiffy89 Posted - 13/01/2012 : 19:55:10
would seriously avoid doing so ,its like you having cyanide walls in your home and painting them with gloss really wouldnt risk it for the sake of a few quid.
nickyff Posted - 13/01/2012 : 19:24:02
my newest big viv is actually a bookcase with glass doors, it has air vents made out of drain covers for the sink and we drilled holes in it for cables etc. its 3 ft x 1.5ftx2ft and cost me ten quid from a charity shop. *smug*

not varnished wood tho, its the coated melamine stuff same as 'proper' vivs, so not sure on that score....

but you dont need to spend hundreds on a wooden box with glassfr ont- theres a whole section somewhere on this site about this exact topic......

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000