New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NiallP
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2012 :  10:34:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there, I plan on upgrading Sylar's viv to a wooden one. I will be getting my step father to help as he is a carpenter and can easily 'boerow' wood from his work.

I've read about some woods being dangerous but would they still be dangerous if they were coated in a sealent / varnish? (I would obviously wait a few days for the fumes to disperse)

Many thanks and I hope you all he a merry christmas and a great new year!

nickyff
Yearling

507 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2012 :  19:24:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my newest big viv is actually a bookcase with glass doors, it has air vents made out of drain covers for the sink and we drilled holes in it for cables etc. its 3 ft x 1.5ftx2ft and cost me ten quid from a charity shop. *smug*

not varnished wood tho, its the coated melamine stuff same as 'proper' vivs, so not sure on that score....

but you dont need to spend hundreds on a wooden box with glassfr ont- theres a whole section somewhere on this site about this exact topic......

and you thought there was no such thing as a stupid question....

1.2.0 corns: captain haddock, sharon the tiddler and Darling Debbie. plus 0.2.0 cali kings: spot and Numpty... not forgetting the delightful Miss Lovely-Gonzalez-La-Poop apricot pueblan milk snake, and we all miss the Lodger who thought he was a cobra....
Go to Top of Page

smiffy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
342 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2012 :  19:55:10  Show Profile  Click to see smiffy89's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
would seriously avoid doing so ,its like you having cyanide walls in your home and painting them with gloss really wouldnt risk it for the sake of a few quid.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2012 :  20:07:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Building a viv out of pine or cedar would be a task to start with.

You are best using MDF or the contiboard type stuff that is plastic coated chip board. Best thing I learn't making mine was pilot holes are a must to stop wood splitting.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

NiallP
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2012 :  21:29:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was planning instead of using this plastic sheet that looks wood (I can't remember the name of this item) and I was going to cover the wood I used with that
Go to Top of Page

c00ki3z
Hatchling

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2012 :  22:17:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NiallP

I was planning instead of using this plastic sheet that looks wood (I can't remember the name of this item) and I was going to cover the wood I used with that

wood veneers? I'm probably gonna do this when I get two made for my corns :) looks better than just MDF

1.0 Fire Corn Snake (Solaire)
1.0 Carolina Corn Snake (Amber)
1.0 G.Rosea (Hailey)
0.1 G.pulchra (Ebony)
0.1 Cat (Brea)
0.1 Dog (Mini Schnauzer (Rosie))
Wishlist: MBK, Avalanche Corn
Go to Top of Page

NiallP
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2012 :  22:49:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah could use them :) but there is this some other stuff that begins with f that can be used also. I'll tell my step dad and he will know what is best!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000