The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Thawed Mice Help

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
bcohen84 Posted - 11/01/2012 : 09:16:49
Hi,
I have recently made the move to thawing out my snake's mice overnight instead of via warm water. This morning I tried to het up the mouse a little (it was at room temperature, I just figured Ginger would want it a little warmer) and as it was warming up, it split open rather quickly. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to better warm up an already thawed mouse, or do they not need to be warmed up at all? Also, is this a good way to let them thaw out, or should I be placing them in hot water like others or what? I am open to any suggestions. Cheers
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sta~ple Posted - 18/01/2012 : 09:27:42
Guess it depends what time your going to bed and what size mice :/
sue2012 Posted - 17/01/2012 : 23:45:08
yes i leave all mine out over night have done for 6 years of keeping corns lol this was how i was told to do it when we got out first one and it just stuck
Sta~ple Posted - 17/01/2012 : 20:55:43
Overnight??? How long was it out for as it would only do that if you had it out ages to defrost.

I defrost mine naturally, jumbo takes like 6 hours and then depending on the snake, I will heat it up slowly and lightly with a hair dyer. If I'm in a rush they got in a bag full of warmish water.
kdlang Posted - 17/01/2012 : 17:46:43
I usually leave mine on the kitchen side for a couple of hours to thaw and then put the bag in warm water just before feeding. Since she hasn't eaten I would leave her til her next usual feeding day before trying her again. It wont hurt her to wait
sue2012 Posted - 17/01/2012 : 14:26:20
i have 1 corn that is a bit picky wont eat a wet mouse lol so we lave it out over night then just befor i feed her we put the mouse in a food bag and stand it in some worm water to heat up and she eats every time
bcohen84 Posted - 12/01/2012 : 13:01:00
No, she is not blue or even close to a shed. I think she is just so used to a routine and I messed it up by trying something new. :D
smart bunny Posted - 12/01/2012 : 10:46:06
Is she due a shed? Although nothing stops Corno eating, a lot of snakes won't eat if they are in blue.
bcohen84 Posted - 12/01/2012 : 10:30:19
Thanks for the responses everyone. Ginger has decided she is going to be a little picky at the moment. She is obviously hungry, but for whatever reason she turned down 3 mice last night (3 because I kept warming them up after she turned them down and I had a few burst) so after the 4th I decided I will give her a day or 2, then defrost from frozen in some water as normal and then go from there. I will keep you all updated. Thanks everyone!!!
smart bunny Posted - 12/01/2012 : 09:53:38
Hmm, I drop mine in hot (not boiling lol!) water then play with Corno for say 30 mins. Then give it straight from the water so it's nice and warm and wet - never had a problem with a feed, even whilst she's in blue, so I assume I'm not doing anything wrong? (Please let me knoe if I am!) Seems quickest and easiest way to me lol!
Vince_the_snake Posted - 11/01/2012 : 18:22:49
i just leave it overnight and don't heat it up at all
ScalySituation Posted - 11/01/2012 : 15:34:49
i normally thaw in coldish water and warm up in warm water, works ok for me cos then dinners still a bit wet cos she likes it that way
Emmy1 Posted - 11/01/2012 : 13:33:19
If I'm in a hurry, I thaw mine in warm water and feed straight away.
If I have all day, I'll thaw in a tub placed on a hat matt, then warm them up a little with a hair dryer before putting them in.
paulie78 Posted - 11/01/2012 : 12:31:21
I just put my mice on the heat mat a few hours before i want to feed the snakes
Figs Posted - 11/01/2012 : 12:26:06
Mr Python is the only one of my gang fussed about the temperature of his dinner; all my others quite happy eat theirs at room temperature
Casta Posted - 11/01/2012 : 11:40:23
only pinks and fuzzies at the moment so defrosting in warm water and then a blast with a hair dryer dries it and heats it up nicely. mine have always gone ape when those are offered
Kath Posted - 11/01/2012 : 10:25:58
Hi, we always defrost our pinkies night before a feed then just before we give it to Cornelius, we put it in some warm water. Seems to work a treat & not yet had any problems with that method.
mikerichards Posted - 11/01/2012 : 10:19:36
Its probably the build up of gas in the gut thats developed over night expanding as its warmed. To be honest, i have defrosting in warm water for years and its never let me down.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000