New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bcohen84
Snake Mite

17 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  09:16:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I have recently made the move to thawing out my snake's mice overnight instead of via warm water. This morning I tried to het up the mouse a little (it was at room temperature, I just figured Ginger would want it a little warmer) and as it was warming up, it split open rather quickly. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to better warm up an already thawed mouse, or do they not need to be warmed up at all? Also, is this a good way to let them thaw out, or should I be placing them in hot water like others or what? I am open to any suggestions. Cheers

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  10:19:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its probably the build up of gas in the gut thats developed over night expanding as its warmed. To be honest, i have defrosting in warm water for years and its never let me down.

Go to Top of Page

Kath
Yearling

United Kingdom
697 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  10:25:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, we always defrost our pinkies night before a feed then just before we give it to Cornelius, we put it in some warm water. Seems to work a treat & not yet had any problems with that method.

Go to Top of Page

Casta
Hatchling

United Kingdom
335 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  11:40:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
only pinks and fuzzies at the moment so defrosting in warm water and then a blast with a hair dryer dries it and heats it up nicely. mine have always gone ape when those are offered

Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  12:26:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr Python is the only one of my gang fussed about the temperature of his dinner; all my others quite happy eat theirs at room temperature
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  12:31:21  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just put my mice on the heat mat a few hours before i want to feed the snakes

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

Emmy1
Yearling

707 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  13:33:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I'm in a hurry, I thaw mine in warm water and feed straight away.
If I have all day, I'll thaw in a tub placed on a hat matt, then warm them up a little with a hair dryer before putting them in.

0.1.0 Anery Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Western Hognosed Snake
1.0.0 Albino California Kingsnake
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Wildtype, Hypo)
0.0.3 Shubunkin Goldfish
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  15:34:49  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i normally thaw in coldish water and warm up in warm water, works ok for me cos then dinners still a bit wet cos she likes it that way

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

Vince_the_snake
Yearling

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  18:22:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i just leave it overnight and don't heat it up at all
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  09:53:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I drop mine in hot (not boiling lol!) water then play with Corno for say 30 mins. Then give it straight from the water so it's nice and warm and wet - never had a problem with a feed, even whilst she's in blue, so I assume I'm not doing anything wrong? (Please let me knoe if I am!) Seems quickest and easiest way to me lol!

Go to Top of Page

bcohen84
Snake Mite

17 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  10:30:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the responses everyone. Ginger has decided she is going to be a little picky at the moment. She is obviously hungry, but for whatever reason she turned down 3 mice last night (3 because I kept warming them up after she turned them down and I had a few burst) so after the 4th I decided I will give her a day or 2, then defrost from frozen in some water as normal and then go from there. I will keep you all updated. Thanks everyone!!!
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  10:46:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is she due a shed? Although nothing stops Corno eating, a lot of snakes won't eat if they are in blue.

Go to Top of Page

bcohen84
Snake Mite

17 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  13:01:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, she is not blue or even close to a shed. I think she is just so used to a routine and I messed it up by trying something new. :D
Go to Top of Page

sue2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
391 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2012 :  14:26:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have 1 corn that is a bit picky wont eat a wet mouse lol so we lave it out over night then just befor i feed her we put the mouse in a food bag and stand it in some worm water to heat up and she eats every time

1.0 Caroliner - Ozzy
1.0 caramel
Bloodred - Damon
0.1 sulfor - Stella
0.1 moonstone - letti
1.0 lavender - tazz
0.1 amber opal - salt
0.2 cats buffy & narla
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2012 :  17:46:43  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I usually leave mine on the kitchen side for a couple of hours to thaw and then put the bag in warm water just before feeding. Since she hasn't eaten I would leave her til her next usual feeding day before trying her again. It wont hurt her to wait

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2012 :  20:55:43  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Overnight??? How long was it out for as it would only do that if you had it out ages to defrost.

I defrost mine naturally, jumbo takes like 6 hours and then depending on the snake, I will heat it up slowly and lightly with a hair dyer. If I'm in a rush they got in a bag full of warmish water.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

sue2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
391 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2012 :  23:45:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes i leave all mine out over night have done for 6 years of keeping corns lol this was how i was told to do it when we got out first one and it just stuck

1.0 Caroliner - Ozzy
1.0 caramel
Bloodred - Damon
0.1 sulfor - Stella
0.1 moonstone - letti
1.0 lavender - tazz
0.1 amber opal - salt
0.2 cats buffy & narla
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2012 :  09:27:42  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Guess it depends what time your going to bed and what size mice :/

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3

Edited by - Sta~ple on 18/01/2012 09:28:15
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000