The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 First shedding for colin

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Horse Posted - 06/01/2012 : 13:54:51
Colin has just shed for thr fist time since i got him in mid Dec. He showed all the signs and have found the shed skin about 3 pieces.

It his feed day tomorrow (Saturday).

Should i fed him as usual, and when i will be alright to handle him again? (obviously leave it for 48 hrs as usual)
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Horse Posted - 07/01/2012 : 15:49:06
he still has a small piece on his tail about 1 cm long so will keep an eye on that, though at the moment he doesnt like being handled. have put a furry in for him though he has buried himself in the sub......Am going to put all the bits of his shed together, (CSI here i come) along with a pic and frame it for a mate who is scared of snakes...warped or what...lol

Thanks for all the advice.........
Horse Posted - 07/01/2012 : 15:43:40
tell me about it...jesus.... i put Colin in a small tank so as to clean out his viv and he moved like grease lightening and nearly got out....
quote:
Originally posted by Casta

theres no harm in handling them after a shed. i tend to feed mine tho as they're generally starving. although be warned it will be a very zippy snake

Georgina Posted - 06/01/2012 : 21:11:15
i cannot wait for my two to shed! great name x
herriotfan Posted - 06/01/2012 : 19:57:11
Congratulations on the first shed. It will be fine to handle Colin whenever you like and feed him as usual. All of mine are happy to be handled and will feed when in shed so there's no great hard and fast rules, just be guided by your snake. Glad it was all ok.
Falice Posted - 06/01/2012 : 17:55:16
ohgod lol. i tried to feed him wednesday as i didn't realise he was going to shed, i was gunna wait until tomoro or sunday cuz its only been a couple of days, but do u think i should try tonight instead? x
Casta Posted - 06/01/2012 : 17:49:32
theres no harm in handling them after a shed. i tend to feed mine tho as they're generally starving. although be warned it will be a very zippy snake
Falice Posted - 06/01/2012 : 17:40:25
oh and Colin is an awsome name!
Falice Posted - 06/01/2012 : 16:12:29
Congrats on your first shed =] Mine had his yesterday too, is there any rule to how long they should be left before handling again? or will i be ok to handle him today?
Emmy1 Posted - 06/01/2012 : 14:48:27
I feed mine as normal once they shed. Even during the blue/ shed process they eat fine. Congratulations on your first shed! Sounds exactly how it should be :)
smart bunny Posted - 06/01/2012 : 14:47:33
Yes that's right - and you should be able to see the shed where the eyes would be, ie there should be 'skin'?? there, not holes. I hope this is making sense lol! Corno has only shed twice, and both times we've had to help her after her not getting anywhere after being left for a few days - and both times the only bit which did come off perfectly without any help was the head piece lol!

I'm definitely going to try putting a damp hide in for her next time she goes into blue, hopefully she'll manage on her own!
Horse Posted - 06/01/2012 : 14:30:24
re eye caps..the head'shed'..no pun...was aal in one piece and from what i can tell is aperfect outline and contours of Colin's body...is this how it should be?

smart bunny Posted - 06/01/2012 : 14:09:30
I am by no means an expert, quite a newbie - but I do know that it's fine to feed once they've shed so can answer this one! :)

Great news on a good 1st shed - you have to check the eyecaps and tail have shed properly. :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000