The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Hibernation

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
daveono1 Posted - 08/12/2011 : 22:16:16
Hi, i haven't been on here in a while as Maverick and Cookie are doing very well and getting very big!

It's the first winter i've been with my two snakes and was wondering if you need to do anything special if your snakes want to hibernate? Cookie has been spending a lot of time in the cool end and pressed up against the glass completely still. She's been feeding fine but she normally spends all day keeping warm in the hot end of her tank so it's a little odd to see her out all the time. Maverick is doing the same but has always preferred the cool end of her tank. I though it might be because she preferred the hides but it turns out she will mostly spend all day in the cool side.

I've read in some forum posts that you can lower the temps to as low as 17C and they won't eat for 3-4 months but wasn't sure if every snake did this or if you actually needed to. Will they be ok if you don't lower temps and keep feeding or should you allow them to hibernate? I don't really have a cold room in my flat so could be a little hard to get the temps low. Let me know what you all think!
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Katie.Dublin Posted - 09/12/2011 : 17:31:57
Its not necessary. I keep my temps and feeding the same all year round :)
eeji Posted - 09/12/2011 : 10:35:24
17 is a bit too high for brumation, you need to be aiming for 10-12C. If you decide to, your snake needs to be in tip top condition otherwise there are health risks involved.
Vince_the_snake Posted - 09/12/2011 : 07:02:24
I never lower the temps in my corn's viv and he acts normally so they don't need to hibernate My snake spends most of his time in the cool end and he is fine so it is probably OK that your's spends on the cool end.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000