The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Snake at the allotment

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Adeymoo Posted - 08/12/2011 : 09:11:29
Morning

Whilst digging over the paths at the allotment I unearthed a Corn Snake sleeping in the long grass. It was, and is still groggy. I have lined a lidless container with asparagus ferns, put the snake in, and laid the long grass over. It is now in the shed with a coat wrapped around the container but it can get out if inclined.

What should I do now. Do I relocate it to another area of long grass or keep it in the shed. Would any long grass do.
Does it wake up to feed in the winter. When will it become active and try and escape the shed if kept there.
Any advise would be great. Taking it home as a pet would surely result in a short life with my children.

Thanks
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eeji Posted - 09/12/2011 : 21:57:44
nice one! :)
Hissyfit Posted - 09/12/2011 : 16:50:02
That's such good news, I was getting too tempted as time went on
Sta~ple Posted - 09/12/2011 : 13:57:00
That's great, hope she quarenteened it away from her other snakes though, much better than having alien spices slithering about :P
smart bunny Posted - 09/12/2011 : 12:36:39
Of course.... now you've spent a little bit of time with one... you should be addicted enough to want one yourself
smart bunny Posted - 09/12/2011 : 12:35:33
Yay that's excellent news
garrie Posted - 09/12/2011 : 12:12:20
Definitely good news - pleased to hear bubbles has found a home
Simmy_82 Posted - 09/12/2011 : 12:11:10
Great news. Glad you found a home for it. Get the new owners to sign up here so we can see future updates!
Adeymoo Posted - 09/12/2011 : 12:08:56
Great news. Someone in our 50 strong office has a daughter who keeps snakes and has a spare vivarium. She has taken possession of the snake which is now called 'Bubbles'. Lucky more like. Anyway, she will be sending updates and when I have time to set up the downloading of images I will post them on this forum.

I am sure it will now have a happier christmas. Thanks all for your time and advise.
eeji Posted - 09/12/2011 : 10:23:22
when you bring him into the warmth (don't warm him up too quickly) make sure you use something secure to keep him in because he will most likely become more alert and active
Simmy_82 Posted - 09/12/2011 : 09:13:49
Its only a baby at that length.

The reptile store would have to quarrantine it for a while before they could sell it anyway, in case illnesses etc. The RSPCA havea reptil rescue centre but there is only one in the country and its in Brighton (stupid location if you ask me).

EDIT: See her how to upload pics
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14057
Adeymoo Posted - 09/12/2011 : 09:08:01
Simmy_82 I was hopeful a committed snake keeper might want the snake instead of the possibilty of someone being given it for Christmas from the resptile store, or RSPCA.

Garrie, it is about 25cm.
Adeymoo Posted - 09/12/2011 : 09:03:35
It's alive. And quite perky.

How do you attach photos to these messages. I press the insert button and get
Simmy_82 Posted - 09/12/2011 : 08:58:34
Even if you take it in on a temp basis garrie. I dont know why they havent rang the reptile store. They say they take them in...
garrie Posted - 09/12/2011 : 08:53:39
Damn Adeymoo - you talk a good talk ...i'm going to have to speak to the OH tonight and will update you. Roughly how big is the corn?
Simmy_82 Posted - 08/12/2011 : 22:06:00
They can go months without food. Don't worry about feeding. Water is more important. Feeding will only cause problems at this stage.

Where have you left the snake? If its in the shed and bucket I hope you shed is secure.
Katie.Dublin Posted - 08/12/2011 : 21:20:42
Don't worry about feeding it. So long as it has a little tub of water it'll be fine. Obviously this is dependant on how long it has been escaped for but it shouldn't do any harm not to feed it.
adamasrc Posted - 08/12/2011 : 21:18:38
dont worry about feeding it, generally people feed their snakes once a week but they can go for longer
Adeymoo Posted - 08/12/2011 : 21:12:53
Garrie has hinted he works close to Norwich, and I am willing to pass on the snake to a proper snake enthusiast.

I will checkup on the little guy tomorrow before making a few calls to the numbers provided.

A quick question: if I bring the snake into the warmth how quickly will it require feeding/

smart bunny Posted - 08/12/2011 : 20:29:58
Keep checking this thread to find out what happened.. I hope little corn snake is OK! Please let us know!
adamasrc Posted - 08/12/2011 : 19:11:58
in the meantime i'd bring it into the warm, near radiator perhaps?, maybe a plastic box (with a secure lid and air holes) filled with newspaper if you have one? toilet roll tube for a hide, boom.. you're done. maybe you can educate your kids on snakes :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000