The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Alternative storage of rodents

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MurdochP1983 Posted - 04/12/2011 : 13:42:40
Hi there

I am new to this forum and hoping to buy a corn snake early 2012. I have done my research and just have to make a final decision on where to buy my snake.

My only issue is I only have a very small home freezer, so storage for rodents may be tricky. I should have enough space in the freezer if needs be, but just wondered if there are any other ways to store rodents, eg ice box, cooler.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Paul
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Simmy_82 Posted - 05/12/2011 : 16:49:56
I've only got the small freezer section in my fridge too. I bought the smallest clip food storer that asda did. About a £1 in store. Has those clip down lids and is rubber sealed. Big enough to hold 20/30 pinkies. I currently have 8 Fuzzies in it, but there is space for at least about 8-10 in it. Doesnt take up a lot of freezer space. We still have space for ice cream, chips, ice cubes, coffee and quorn...

Other than that is a case of buying as and when. But this tub is small enough for what you need with 1 corn. When it get older i reckon the tub will hold around 5-6 large mice (at a guess). Below is a pic of when i have pinkies and 2 fuzzies in it. I'll measure the dimensions of the tub later and post them for you so you can get an idea of the actual size.

Sta~ple Posted - 05/12/2011 : 16:25:54
You'd have to have more than one snake, probably like 3 to go through a 100 pinkies though...

Theres no point like buying in bulk online unless you have like 4 or more snakes ish. I used to get like packs of 5 or 10 from my local petshop as they were a tad cheaper but not really a lot. Somtimes I'd just buy like 4 mice which is like a months worth lol.
Okeetee Mick Posted - 04/12/2011 : 18:15:08
I purchase pinkies and fuzzies by the 100, price is so much better and they really don't take much room in the freezer.
coxymk2 Posted - 04/12/2011 : 17:29:16
I use a tupperware box and so as not to have the OH complain have bought a new f/freezer lol
Emmy1 Posted - 04/12/2011 : 15:58:07
I get 10 for a certain price from my reptile shop, and I just use a small tupperware box to store them in my freezer. That way you don't have a fiddly plastic bag to wrestle everytime you need to get something in or out.
paulie78 Posted - 04/12/2011 : 15:53:08
I bulk buy and have a lil tub in the freezer i try to have a minimum of five but a maxiimum of ten mice per snake in at any one time however i dont drive and its difficult for me to get to the pet shops that sell mice here they are all out of town but as the others suggested just buy as you need them
jaseargonaut12 Posted - 04/12/2011 : 15:50:57
I did bulk buy, but my snake has moved up a size of mouse so I have 8 small mice that are of no use for st the min lol
MurdochP1983 Posted - 04/12/2011 : 15:50:54
Thanks for the responses, I think buying them as I need them may be the best bet, there are pet stores nearby, so shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers
Paul
scottishbluebird Posted - 04/12/2011 : 15:28:54
nothing to add, just as above
Kehhlyr Posted - 04/12/2011 : 15:13:42
quote:
Originally posted by ScalySituation

you dont have to bulk buy, you can just go to the pet shop and get one whenever snakey needs it ;)

^^^^that.
I have close to a dozen snakes and I still only buy as I need it.
ScalySituation Posted - 04/12/2011 : 13:48:14
you dont have to bulk buy, you can just go to the pet shop and get one whenever snakey needs it ;)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000