Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MurdochP1983
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  13:42:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there

I am new to this forum and hoping to buy a corn snake early 2012. I have done my research and just have to make a final decision on where to buy my snake.

My only issue is I only have a very small home freezer, so storage for rodents may be tricky. I should have enough space in the freezer if needs be, but just wondered if there are any other ways to store rodents, eg ice box, cooler.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Paul

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  13:48:14  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
you dont have to bulk buy, you can just go to the pet shop and get one whenever snakey needs it ;)

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  15:13:42  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ScalySituation

you dont have to bulk buy, you can just go to the pet shop and get one whenever snakey needs it ;)

^^^^that.
I have close to a dozen snakes and I still only buy as I need it.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  15:28:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nothing to add, just as above

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

MurdochP1983
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  15:50:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the responses, I think buying them as I need them may be the best bet, there are pet stores nearby, so shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers
Paul
Go to Top of Page

jaseargonaut12
Egg

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  15:50:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did bulk buy, but my snake has moved up a size of mouse so I have 8 small mice that are of no use for st the min lol
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  15:53:08  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I bulk buy and have a lil tub in the freezer i try to have a minimum of five but a maxiimum of ten mice per snake in at any one time however i dont drive and its difficult for me to get to the pet shops that sell mice here they are all out of town but as the others suggested just buy as you need them

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

Emmy1
Yearling

707 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  15:58:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I get 10 for a certain price from my reptile shop, and I just use a small tupperware box to store them in my freezer. That way you don't have a fiddly plastic bag to wrestle everytime you need to get something in or out.

0.1.0 Anery Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Western Hognosed Snake
1.0.0 Albino California Kingsnake
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Wildtype, Hypo)
0.0.3 Shubunkin Goldfish
Go to Top of Page

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  17:29:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use a tupperware box and so as not to have the OH complain have bought a new f/freezer lol

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  18:15:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I purchase pinkies and fuzzies by the 100, price is so much better and they really don't take much room in the freezer.

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  16:25:54  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You'd have to have more than one snake, probably like 3 to go through a 100 pinkies though...

Theres no point like buying in bulk online unless you have like 4 or more snakes ish. I used to get like packs of 5 or 10 from my local petshop as they were a tad cheaper but not really a lot. Somtimes I'd just buy like 4 mice which is like a months worth lol.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  16:49:56  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've only got the small freezer section in my fridge too. I bought the smallest clip food storer that asda did. About a £1 in store. Has those clip down lids and is rubber sealed. Big enough to hold 20/30 pinkies. I currently have 8 Fuzzies in it, but there is space for at least about 8-10 in it. Doesnt take up a lot of freezer space. We still have space for ice cream, chips, ice cubes, coffee and quorn...

Other than that is a case of buying as and when. But this tub is small enough for what you need with 1 corn. When it get older i reckon the tub will hold around 5-6 large mice (at a guess). Below is a pic of when i have pinkies and 2 fuzzies in it. I'll measure the dimensions of the tub later and post them for you so you can get an idea of the actual size.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000