The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 My Viv.....Cypress Substrate !!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jason_app Posted - 22/11/2011 : 00:45:08
Hey all, thought i would put up a pic of my viv for my two corns.
Just decided to change from chipsi substrate to Cypress forest floor substrate. Its quite moist and i think the heat mat is going to cause a bit of condensation untill the cypress dries out.
How many of you use this substrate and what do you think of it?

Jase

16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jason_app Posted - 23/11/2011 : 12:24:13
using the orchid bark substrate is certainly more effort then just tipping in a bag of aspen. However if i realised i would need to dry it before putting mine in it could have been alot easier haha. In out in out lol. Still its in now and i think looks good as per first photo. Jase
Sta~ple Posted - 23/11/2011 : 10:48:00
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

lol @G

(btw, to those that don't know me - i'm notginger........or a pony for that matter!)

Lies, all lies :P

Yeeah I use aspen as I am lazy and can't be bothere to dry substrates plus I would get screamed at if I even touch the tumble drier or cooker.
Jason_app Posted - 22/11/2011 : 22:46:32
quote:
Originally posted by kayjosh

quote:
Originally posted by Jason_app

haha, it was absolutely fine. in an old pillow case that was for the bin anyway so completely sealed. The machine is filtered and they were all clean so no prob.

All back in the viv now and so much better......all dry :-)

Jase

Not sure yet if our tumble dryer will ever be the same Jason only time will tell....could be very expensive substrate lol

how many times have i fixed that dam tumble dryer now though...doing it again is no big deal lol x
kayjosh Posted - 22/11/2011 : 22:08:07
quote:

haha, it was absolutely fine. in an old pillow case that was for the bin anyway so completely sealed. The machine is filtered and they were all clean so no prob.

Jase

Not sure yet if our tumble dryer will ever be the same Jason only time will tell....could be very expensive substrate lol
Jason_app Posted - 22/11/2011 : 21:42:21

Jase
gingerpony Posted - 22/11/2011 : 21:25:16
lol @G

(btw, to those that don't know me - i'm notginger........or a pony for that matter!)
gmac Posted - 22/11/2011 : 21:06:51
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

if it's in a pillow case i can't see an issue with it?..........or am i having a blonde moment??

nope your having a ginger moment :P but I agree if its in pillow case should be fine
gingerpony Posted - 22/11/2011 : 20:56:48
if it's in a pillow case i can't see an issue with it?..........or am i having a blonde moment??
lotabob Posted - 22/11/2011 : 20:08:13
quote:

To dry out the substrate we put it in a pillow and put it through the tumble dryer for an hour, seems to have done the trick.

HAHA thats brilliant and potentially fatal to tumble dryers. Try baking in the oven its far less likely to destroy an expensive appliance.
kayjosh Posted - 22/11/2011 : 19:14:05
Hey, as you know Jason, I have chosen Aspen for my three and they are burrowing away and seem to be loving it guys, used chipsi before and although pretty certainly does not give my babies any excitement - Thanks for helping with the tank clean Jay.x
Jason_app Posted - 22/11/2011 : 17:59:19
All taken on board so i have removed it and dried out the viv. I put some newspaper down temporarily today.

To dry out the substrate we put it in a pillow and put it through the tumble dryer for an hour, seems to have done the trick.

Looking forward to getting it back in later this evening as i think it looks good. I like the dark colour.

Jase
gingerpony Posted - 22/11/2011 : 13:36:13
it's basically orchid bark given a different name...........as you buy it it's far too damp to use for the majority of species (including corns )and needs baking first to dry it out
the level of humidity it creates when used 'as is' is likely to cause belly/scale rot or respiratory problems - imagine trying to live in a sauna!
lotabob Posted - 22/11/2011 : 01:53:21
As well as the health implications of damp substrate for corns such as the RI above and also scale rot from having a constantly damp belly the other slightly less important thing to consider is humidity kills vivariums that are not sealed 100% All edges and screw fitting needs sealing with a quality aquarium sealant (dont use ordinary sealant its full of potentially harmful chemicals to keep it mould free etc).

Once its prepared for the requirements of the snake living on it then it will be fine to use.
gmac Posted - 22/11/2011 : 01:30:23
RI= Respitory infection this can be brought on by high humidity.

your substrate can be used but would suggest drying it out in the oven first as there is too much moisture in this straight from the bag. Once dried out is fine. Substrates like this are suitable for snakes that require a higher humidity like rainbow boas but not particularly good for corns.
Jason_app Posted - 22/11/2011 : 01:14:11
quote:
Originally posted by scottishbluebird

Looks good, sorry i use aspen. Please dont take my word for it, but would condensation possibly cause RI?

What is RI?

It says suitable for snakes and it certainly looks good but i have to say i am a little concerned about the moisture and humidity.

Jase
scottishbluebird Posted - 22/11/2011 : 01:03:54
Looks good, sorry i use aspen. Please dont take my word for it, but would condensation possibly cause RI?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000