The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Is it dangerous for a heat mat to 'stick out'?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
smart bunny Posted - 12/11/2011 : 13:15:54
OK, so I'm setting up for a hatchling so have a not-too-big faunarium (30x18cm) - but the heat mat supplied by the pet shop is pretty much the same size, so doesn't allow for a cool area. If I put the faun half on and half off the heat mat, will this be OK or is that too dangerous? You don't seem to get really tiny heat mats?
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
smart bunny Posted - 19/11/2011 : 08:59:16
Lol, I've already tried the 'we could always share the mat between 2 fauns'.....

Hubby and I are absolutely besotted with son's snake... and my birthday is in Feb so you never know ;)

By the way, Sammysnake, I LOVE the name Twilight - it's perfect lol! Need to get myself a sig sorted out....
lotabob Posted - 19/11/2011 : 08:33:50
Small heat mats are really easy to come by online, ebay is always a good place to start, see if there are any bargains out there. They do heat mats starting from the size of a coaster right the way up to a few feet long.

As for sticking out its fine and a great excuse to het another setup sorted out, think of it less like getting a new snake and more saving the environment and not wasting electricity
Sammysnake Posted - 18/11/2011 : 19:06:18
Fantastic idea to get another baby snake just so you're not wasting half of the heatmat! It's good for the environment not to waste electricity (any excuse to get extra snakes in the house ). Seriously though, a bit hanging over will make no difference. As long as it's attached to a thermostat as it should be then it won't get much warmer than skin temp anyway.
smart bunny Posted - 12/11/2011 : 14:01:27
Oh that is a huge relief, thanks! I thought I was going to have to go and get a larger faunarium or search high and low for a tiny heat mat! I am so chuffed, that means we should be able to collect snakey within the next couple of days, yay!
tordyjo Posted - 12/11/2011 : 13:52:41
i've had my mats stick out the side. I have one at the mo.................but.......i've used the other half to put another little faun with a hatchie in (i have got another mat and stat for when i need it though).
ScalySituation Posted - 12/11/2011 : 13:40:15
should be fine :) i had mine like that, the heat mat doesnt get majorly hot, just gotta make sure it stays put

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000