Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Is it dangerous for a heat mat to 'stick out'?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  13:15:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, so I'm setting up for a hatchling so have a not-too-big faunarium (30x18cm) - but the heat mat supplied by the pet shop is pretty much the same size, so doesn't allow for a cool area. If I put the faun half on and half off the heat mat, will this be OK or is that too dangerous? You don't seem to get really tiny heat mats?

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  13:40:15  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
should be fine :) i had mine like that, the heat mat doesnt get majorly hot, just gotta make sure it stays put

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  13:52:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i've had my mats stick out the side. I have one at the mo.................but.......i've used the other half to put another little faun with a hatchie in (i have got another mat and stat for when i need it though).

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  14:01:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh that is a huge relief, thanks! I thought I was going to have to go and get a larger faunarium or search high and low for a tiny heat mat! I am so chuffed, that means we should be able to collect snakey within the next couple of days, yay!

Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2011 :  19:06:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic idea to get another baby snake just so you're not wasting half of the heatmat! It's good for the environment not to waste electricity (any excuse to get extra snakes in the house ). Seriously though, a bit hanging over will make no difference. As long as it's attached to a thermostat as it should be then it won't get much warmer than skin temp anyway.

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2011 :  08:33:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Small heat mats are really easy to come by online, ebay is always a good place to start, see if there are any bargains out there. They do heat mats starting from the size of a coaster right the way up to a few feet long.

As for sticking out its fine and a great excuse to het another setup sorted out, think of it less like getting a new snake and more saving the environment and not wasting electricity

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2011 :  08:59:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol, I've already tried the 'we could always share the mat between 2 fauns'.....

Hubby and I are absolutely besotted with son's snake... and my birthday is in Feb so you never know ;)

By the way, Sammysnake, I LOVE the name Twilight - it's perfect lol! Need to get myself a sig sorted out....

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000