The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Mould

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
huffy_86 Posted - 07/11/2011 : 21:23:59
Bit worried! Tonight was Pablos feeding night and upon opening his rub i was scared to find his stick covered in mould. His rub isn't damp and temps are ok (29 hot end, 22 approx cold end) and there was nothing on/in the substrate. Needless to say he was taken out and an emergency thorough clean and substrate change were carried out!

He seems to be ok and took his pinky fine as normal but we'll keep an eye on him for a bit incase it's affected him. Is there anything to look out for? Any advice?
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
huffy_86 Posted - 09/11/2011 : 11:50:29
I've now chucked the culprit stick away now anyway just to be safe. Pablo seems ok and has been out and about a lot more now the stick has been removed so he's happy!
We'll keep an eye on him anyways although I think seeing as we spotted it quickly he'll be ok.
Kehhlyr Posted - 08/11/2011 : 23:21:40
quote:
Originally posted by boogles

corn snakes live in the wild... Im fairly sure theres mould out there. he/she will be fine.

They originated in the wild.

But in captivity they should only come across about 1% of the bugs/bacteria that they would in the wild.
Imagine living somewhere that was totally hermetically sealed all your life, then getting plonked into an infant school. The bugs would do you a lot of damage very quickly.
Mamma Posted - 08/11/2011 : 13:06:14
I too had a mould attack in one of Romeo's earlier rub. It didnt have any ill effect on him either
lotabob Posted - 08/11/2011 : 13:04:50
Just boil your stick and give it a scrub it will be fine. Probably just got a bit damp at some point and mould spores are in the air and settled on the stick. I had a mould attack in my gecko viv last month, Just cleaned it up and Bobs your father's brother. Didn't have any ill effect on the Gecko either.
boogles Posted - 08/11/2011 : 12:33:01
corn snakes live in the wild... Im fairly sure theres mould out there. he/she will be fine.
huffy_86 Posted - 07/11/2011 : 21:49:08
Sorry no pics but it was like a light furry layer with a green tinge in places... almost looked like a thick coating of dust/cobweb type material.

It's definitely put me off anything but artificial decs from now on!
gingerpony Posted - 07/11/2011 : 21:38:40
quote:
Originally posted by huffy_86

....an exo terra small stick so i trust it was prepared correctly......

assume nothing lol
hillzi Posted - 07/11/2011 : 21:32:13
Got a pic of the mould?
huffy_86 Posted - 07/11/2011 : 21:29:05
Forgot to mention the stick was bought from blue lizard reptiles as an exo terra small stick so i trust it was prepared correctly. We only had him out 2 days ago and rachel has been doing his water change daily and hadnt spotted anything so it seems to have developed quite quick

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000