The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Heat mat on cork?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JamesA Posted - 03/11/2011 : 17:12:37
Been having trouble finding a decent size piece of polystyrene to put the heat mat on so it can go under the faun. Spotted a pinboard in the local, erm, discount shop so I'm planning to chop it up and use the cork sheet instead.

Anyone else done this or similar? I'm pretty sure it will be just fine, but thought id ask the experts.
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
JamesA Posted - 07/11/2011 : 07:56:21
Its a microclimate one and the instructions say to leave an air gap if its underneath, also recommends polystyrene. Now ive got the tiles i can see exactly now to do it so will have a change round once she starts being active again after her feed.
gingerpony Posted - 06/11/2011 : 21:09:52
some types of heatmat need an airgap to operate properly and without risk of fire - Habistat Desert or Rainforest i think (could well be wrong though!)

if the problem is the connector block on the mat making the faun wobbly just raise the bottom of the faun up on small feet, can even be a couple of pennies under each corner
JamesA Posted - 05/11/2011 : 21:00:50
No the temp seems to be pretty stable at around 30c, but at the moment the mat is on the back of the faun as I couldn't get it to stay put under it and I didn't want it to damage the side board its all sat on. I'll be a lot happier once its all secured underneath and well insulated.
lotabob Posted - 05/11/2011 : 20:47:53
DO you need it? Are you struggling with your temperatures?
JamesA Posted - 05/11/2011 : 20:34:28
That's creative thinking Beverly, I like it!

Had no luck at the hardware shop so asked in the pet shop on the off chance. They had polystyrene tiles to put under fish tanks so ive got 2 to stick together which will be just right.
Beverly Louise Posted - 04/11/2011 : 17:16:02
I just bought a crappy pair of hairstraightners for about a rennet and used the heat mat that came with them. You could probably find a Kearney cheaper but it's good enough for me (: and you know it'll work cause hair straightness can get hotter than heat mats for vivs and it's fine.
JamesA Posted - 04/11/2011 : 12:55:34
Back to the drawing board. Took the thing apart last night to cut it to size and its about 2mm of cork stuck to cardboard! Should have known for £3 really :)

Off to the hardware shop on the way home today to find something else.
Kehhlyr Posted - 03/11/2011 : 22:21:35
So long as the mat is stat'd then you shouldn't have an issue with cork. It's a very good insulator, but is also very good at catching fire.
JamesA Posted - 03/11/2011 : 21:53:34
Had a bit of a search and it seems cork is quite often used to insulate under floor heating systems, so should be ok.

Thanks for the input folks.
Casta Posted - 03/11/2011 : 18:36:55
i've got 2 glass sheets under mine. the mat is stuck on one with a gap between them. so long as theres a non conductive surface it shud be fine. with a air space between it.
SheWolfey Posted - 03/11/2011 : 18:24:37
I have two long tiles (with a gap between them) under my snakies viv (mostly because I couldn't find anything else)
I think cork should be ok
mkmattyk Posted - 03/11/2011 : 17:30:23
i found loads of like bambo plate mat things reduced at ikea, that i use and there spaced apart just right so it lets air circulate aswell, not sure about cork though

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000