The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Handeling questions

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SheWolfey Posted - 01/11/2011 : 18:40:37
I handled Indra for the 1st time today
She was calm at first but then she tried jumping out of my hands onto the towel I had under her (just in case she fell )

I don't think she really liked being handled, and now she is hiding from me at the back of her viv

I only handled her for about 5 mins, is that too long for her or too short?

Also, do I handle her once every day (apart from feeding and a few days after feeding) or a few times a week?

Sorry for the newbie questions
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SheWolfey Posted - 02/11/2011 : 17:15:47
Thanks for all your help guys
I handled her for a little longer today and she was a lot calmer than yesterday

I will try the sock idea.
Thanks
garrie Posted - 02/11/2011 : 09:53:24
Another tip for you is to ensure you try putting her back on "good terms" - i.e. when she is nice and calm and settled They can learn simple things like this (so i've read)...for example, if she "was" to tag you (unlikely, i know) you should ideally wait until she is settled again before putting her back.
Simmy_82 Posted - 02/11/2011 : 07:22:15
I handled mine for 5-10mins a day when I first got her. Now that she's calmed down I handle her for 10-15mins every time I get her out. She's less stressed with us now and we can even let her go and mooch around in the bed.
stuart619 Posted - 02/11/2011 : 06:52:59
Don't worry about it, it's completely normal behaviour. 5 mins is ok after all you don’t want to stress her out. It might be a little frustrating but she will calm with regular handling. You seem to be doing it right so you won’t have any problem. Good luck though
Mamma Posted - 01/11/2011 : 20:11:00
You need to keep at it Im afraid. Thats the only way she is gonna be used to being handled. You could try keeping a sock on you for 24/28 hours and placing it in the housing. This way it helps the snake get used to your scent
Auld Baldy Posted - 01/11/2011 : 18:59:12
Fun isn't it.

She will get used to it eventually once she gets used to you. She will just be hiding after all the excitement of her first outing. 5 minutes is OK as a start point so try again tomorrow and then gradually increase the play time by a few minutes as both of you gain confidence. Every day is fine apart from after feeding.

Don't worry about the newbie questions. We were all hatched at one time.
ScalySituation Posted - 01/11/2011 : 18:55:32
she's probably just not used to you and your smell, sonny was like that at first but now we can have her out for 10-15 mins at a time before she starts going nuts, as for you're question, its really up to her :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000