The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Really Annoyed With Pet Shop

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
thistle Posted - 29/10/2011 : 05:04:36
I got Bradley, my caramel motley, earlier this month. He hatched July 2010 and was bred by someone who works in the pet shop. He's a tiny looking wee thing so I was really surprised when the breeder told me he was fed every 7 days on a medium/large mouse and had always been a great feeder. I picked him up later that week and was told he had been fed the day before. When I saw him I couldn't believe the size of the feeding bump on him, I'd never seen anything like it. Needless to say I wasn't at all surprised when I got up the next morning to find he had regurgitated a very large completely undigested mouse.

I left him 10 days (added some Reptoboost to his water) and before feeding him I weighed and measured him. He was 2'2" and only 40g. Here's a pic.

I fed him a small mouse which he took and digested without a problem. 6 days later I weighed him before feeding again and he was 45g. I weighed a couple of days ago, again after 6 days and he is now 50g.

If he has put on 10g in the space of 12 days and being fed 2 small mice with me, he obviously doesn't have any problems putting on weight. So if they had been feeding him a medium/large mouse weekly than why was he only 40g at 15mths!
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
nusnakemum Posted - 03/11/2011 : 09:14:18
Thank goodness he,s got you to treat him right !
Dancross0 Posted - 02/11/2011 : 21:34:33
Good to hear he's getting better care with you. He's a lovely looking little fella!
thistle Posted - 02/11/2011 : 21:06:41
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply to this thread, my internet died just after I posted it and I've only just got it working again.

The guy who bred him was absolutely positive that he was being fed a medium/large mouse every 7 days and had never had any problems feeding. The mouse he regurgitated was at least a large. My amel is on mediums and it was double the size of them. I'm feeding him very small mice (6-8g) which leave a good size feeding bump, so I wouldn't give him anything bigger than that.

It's difficult to tell from the photo, but he is underweight, much more v-shaped in cross section than the loaf shape he should be. He's coming on really well though. I weighed him again tonight before feeding and he is now 56g. He even struck and constricted his mouse for the first time. :-D
Hissyfit Posted - 30/10/2011 : 10:44:53
He's a tiny little thing, and really cute Voldemort is Aug 10 hatched, and 100g heavier! As Garrie said, at least he's now in a good home
garrie Posted - 30/10/2011 : 10:37:31
At least we can be sure little Bradley has a good home now
gingerpony Posted - 29/10/2011 : 13:03:41
as lota says the move to a new house could be the cause and, playing devils advocate a little, one man's medium mouse is another mans small......

prolly just inaccurate records at the petshop though, not that that helps the purchasers!!
lotabob Posted - 29/10/2011 : 11:31:42
It may have been the move 1 day after feeding that is the likely cause of regurge.

The size of mouse does sound a bit big though, at that size I'm pretty sure Spot was on fluffs.

On the weighing side, take it as a guide only, the first time you weighed was after a regurge and so its quite possible that the snakes digestive system was empty, after 2 feeds 6 days apart the gut would have still been digesting some/most of the contents so you're weighing that too. Weighing is a guide only, when Spot was tiny his weight would move up and down due to stomach contents but as a trend it was moving upward.
Mamma Posted - 29/10/2011 : 09:54:45
medium/large mice seem like they will be too big for him by the looks of your photo. I would try small mice or even fluffs.
Simmy_82 Posted - 29/10/2011 : 07:46:26
Chances are he prob regurged a few of the other larger mice he was being fed before you got him. so not keeping it down slows its growth I guess. It could have been a slow/poor feeder when it was a hatchie? I'm only guessing here.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000