The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 What a good snake!!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kath Posted - 24/10/2011 : 08:45:47
Morning all,

I posted last night that Cornelius had had his first feed with us & it was a success. My partner Paul spot checked his fauna this morning just to check all was ok & he found a complete shed in Corny's trailing plant!

Was good to see it for first time & was wondering what other members do with their snakes shedded skin?

When we handle him Wed, we'll check him over just to make sure he ok but when we fed him last night, he didn't look like he was about to shed. His eyes looked ok.

I've checked his shed & it is definitely a complete shed because his tail end is there & also his eyecaps. I'm so pleased!!

PS, this forum is a godsend! Thanks.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jonoandapril Posted - 25/10/2011 : 16:24:42
i heard the shed thing works ok if you use the rule of taking 10% off?
Kath Posted - 25/10/2011 : 15:33:43
Thx for the link, we'll try it out when we get some pics of him! We'll be able to handle him tomorrow so we're going to get as many pics of him as we can!
garrie Posted - 25/10/2011 : 15:14:41
quote:
Originally posted by Kath

Is there an easy way of measuring them?

Simple answer...no, not particuarly! I measure mine by waiting for him to go on a little trek around the edge of his home...once his head gets to a corner or something, i keep note of where his tail is and measure that distance (not perfect, but not far off).

There are some online tools that you can use to measure your snake - other people use them, but i haven't used it yet so can't really comment. http://serpwidgets.com/main/measure

Hope that helps
Kath Posted - 25/10/2011 : 15:02:07
Aaahhh ok thx. Is there an easy way of measuring them?
thistle Posted - 25/10/2011 : 14:54:50
To be honest measuring the shed is not an accurate way to measure the length of the snake because the skin stretches fair bit as the snake sheds.
Kath Posted - 25/10/2011 : 14:36:01
Hi Thistle, yep I've just put Corny's 1st shed in an envelope for now with date on it.

We were wondering what would be best way to measure him, because we knew we'd struggle, then OH came up with brill idea of measuring his shed!! So we did & he's 43cm.

Thanks.
thistle Posted - 25/10/2011 : 01:48:51
That's great that both his 1st feed and shed went well.

I'm really sad and keep all of my snakes sheds in individual sandwich bags with the snakes name and the date of the shed. It's amazing to compare the sizes of the sheds as they grow.
Kath Posted - 24/10/2011 : 09:12:35
Thx for the nod about going to him from the side & not over top of him, will try that next time.

I felt really guilty last night because when we took the hide off him that he was under, he just looked up at us with his tiny eyes & looked really vunerable!

I know it's for best tho!!!

garrie Posted - 24/10/2011 : 09:07:38
A lot of people simply cup their hand underneath their snake - this seems to be a fairly good method. My snake now actually comes out onto my hand just about (most of the time)after having him 4 - 5 months. Hatchlings/young snakes are very quick and very flighty to begin with - once he is used to your scent, he will calm down a great deal hopefully. Just try to remember to keep low (i.e. come in from the side rather than over him). I remember, when AURYN was younger - once i had part of him underneath my hand, i would get my fingers around him and pick him up - obviously not squeezing him tightly, but more like a hook or something.

Rest assured..you are doing well - and for the first month or so of having my snake, my heart pounded like a beast whenever I went in to get him. I think it is fair to say that it is a learning curve for both Cornelius and yourself.
Kath Posted - 24/10/2011 : 09:01:11
Thx garrie. I'm starting to relax a bit more but still bit nervous because I worry too much anyway & I just don't want anything to happen to him.

I chickened out handling & feeding him last night because I was a little nervous with it being his first time. I'm sure I'll be more confident next time (I'll make sure of it!) because I want to do it myself.

Also, he was very quick moving around & took us a bit to get hold of him which we thought might have stressed him out... obviously not because he did relax & eat.

Just a quick question, what would you suggest is the best way of getting him out of his fauna which won't hurt him & stress him out the least? We struggled a bit last night to get hold of him.

Thanks.
garrie Posted - 24/10/2011 : 08:54:53
Yay, congratulations - pleased to hear it is all going so well

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000