The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Newbie Questions

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kneon light Posted - 13/10/2011 : 17:06:54
Hi

New to the forum but just wanted to say how useful and helpful it is :)

I am getting a corn snake at the weekend but have a couple of questions to ask before I do.

I have read all the care sheets etc and they all say what temperature to have the viv but I cannot find anything about day/night temperatures. Do I just leave the heat mat on 24 hours a day? (was wondering as the lizards I have need colder temps at night)

Secondly most of the guides say not to handle in the first 7 days which is fair enough but I was wondering what to do about feeding in this time. I don't want not feed it and then have something go wrong due to lack of food. At the same time I don't want to handle it unnecessarily in the first week (I have a separate feeding place so that it doesn't swallow any of the substrate)

Any help will be appreciated :)
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kneon light Posted - 15/10/2011 : 15:04:17
1 12 week old Cremsicle corn snake purchased and currently curled up in it's viv :)
gingerpony Posted - 14/10/2011 : 14:15:24
quote:
Originally posted by kneon light

I have got a thermostat (I was stunned how many places sold "complete" corn snake set ups without one!)

it's to make the 'complete set-up' look more affordable than other, complete (with stat) 'complete set-ups' if people are comparing prices
huffy_86 Posted - 14/10/2011 : 10:31:47
Good luck with whatever you go for at the weekend... and once it's settled in we need piccies!!
Mamma Posted - 14/10/2011 : 10:22:59
sandfish are super cute. Welcome to the forum xx
kneon light Posted - 14/10/2011 : 07:50:57
Hi

Thanks for all the help :)

I set my viv up according to the sticky on this forum. I have got a thermostat (I was stunned how many places sold "complete" corn snake set ups without one!)
Not sure which morph or exactly how old - will be choosing tomorrow :)
I currently have a pair of sandfish.
Kehhlyr Posted - 13/10/2011 : 21:13:11
Hi and welcome.
What lizards do you have???
johno Posted - 13/10/2011 : 20:29:51
welcome, and just incase you havnt seen that a mat stat is a MUST. so now you now know :P but yea all the info in this thread is fine (all the info on the site is fine) :D at the weekend once you have your snake you may want to start thinking about what your next one will be hehe.
gingerpony Posted - 13/10/2011 : 19:54:55
have a read: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

and no night-time drop is required
Okeetee Mick Posted - 13/10/2011 : 17:25:01
Polarchicks advice is spot on, and welcome to the forum
Dancross0 Posted - 13/10/2011 : 17:19:40
Hello!

Temp wise, just leave the heatmat on all the time. Your snake will need the heat when it is fed to digest it's meal, and changes in the tempeature in your home will effect the cool end temps, so they get a drop at night.

And leaving the snake for 7 days will allow it to settle into it's new home. Don't worry about food; snakes can fast for a while, and witholding food for this settling period may lead to a good feeding response.

Out of interest, what morph are you looking at? And how old?
polarchick Posted - 13/10/2011 : 17:18:40
Hi there!

I'm still very much a newbie, but will have a go at answering as I've just "been there, done that" with my first corn snake.

The heat mat is left on overnight, there's no need to change day/night temps. The cold end will likely change on its own depending on your house's heating, so there may be some change from that point of view, but the heated end can just stay as it is.

Your snake will be able to last for weeks without food as in the wild they are opportunistic feeders, so don't worry about not feeding it within the first week. If you do feed it this will increase the chance of it regurgitating (which is BAD!) due to stress, so best to leave it for the full 7 days, then you can handle and feed it. The 7 days really does drag on when all you want to do is get to know your new snake, but it is worth it in the end!

Sue

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000