Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kneon light
Egg

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2011 :  17:06:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

New to the forum but just wanted to say how useful and helpful it is :)

I am getting a corn snake at the weekend but have a couple of questions to ask before I do.

I have read all the care sheets etc and they all say what temperature to have the viv but I cannot find anything about day/night temperatures. Do I just leave the heat mat on 24 hours a day? (was wondering as the lizards I have need colder temps at night)

Secondly most of the guides say not to handle in the first 7 days which is fair enough but I was wondering what to do about feeding in this time. I don't want not feed it and then have something go wrong due to lack of food. At the same time I don't want to handle it unnecessarily in the first week (I have a separate feeding place so that it doesn't swallow any of the substrate)

Any help will be appreciated :)

polarchick
Egg

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2011 :  17:18:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there!

I'm still very much a newbie, but will have a go at answering as I've just "been there, done that" with my first corn snake.

The heat mat is left on overnight, there's no need to change day/night temps. The cold end will likely change on its own depending on your house's heating, so there may be some change from that point of view, but the heated end can just stay as it is.

Your snake will be able to last for weeks without food as in the wild they are opportunistic feeders, so don't worry about not feeding it within the first week. If you do feed it this will increase the chance of it regurgitating (which is BAD!) due to stress, so best to leave it for the full 7 days, then you can handle and feed it. The 7 days really does drag on when all you want to do is get to know your new snake, but it is worth it in the end!

Sue

1.0.0 CB11 Carolina corn snake - Hygge
Go to Top of Page

Dancross0
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1315 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2011 :  17:19:40  Show Profile  Visit Dancross0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello!

Temp wise, just leave the heatmat on all the time. Your snake will need the heat when it is fed to digest it's meal, and changes in the tempeature in your home will effect the cool end temps, so they get a drop at night.

And leaving the snake for 7 days will allow it to settle into it's new home. Don't worry about food; snakes can fast for a while, and witholding food for this settling period may lead to a good feeding response.

Out of interest, what morph are you looking at? And how old?

Aguna CB11 Anery - Typhon CB12 Amber - Plissken CB08 Carolina - Iara CB11 Caramel

Indra CB12 Lavender (?) - Evren CB12 Carolina (?) - Ophis CB11 Hypo Lavender - Sirae CB11 Ghost Motley

Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2011 :  17:25:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Polarchicks advice is spot on, and welcome to the forum

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2011 :  19:54:55  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
have a read: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

and no night-time drop is required

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

johno
Egg

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2011 :  20:29:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
welcome, and just incase you havnt seen that a mat stat is a MUST. so now you now know :P but yea all the info in this thread is fine (all the info on the site is fine) :D at the weekend once you have your snake you may want to start thinking about what your next one will be hehe.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2011 :  21:13:11  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome.
What lizards do you have???

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

kneon light
Egg

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2011 :  07:50:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

Thanks for all the help :)

I set my viv up according to the sticky on this forum. I have got a thermostat (I was stunned how many places sold "complete" corn snake set ups without one!)
Not sure which morph or exactly how old - will be choosing tomorrow :)
I currently have a pair of sandfish.
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2011 :  10:22:59  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sandfish are super cute. Welcome to the forum xx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

huffy_86
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2011 :  10:31:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck with whatever you go for at the weekend... and once it's settled in we need piccies!!

James aka Huffy, Leighton Buzzard.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2011 :  14:15:24  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kneon light

I have got a thermostat (I was stunned how many places sold "complete" corn snake set ups without one!)

it's to make the 'complete set-up' look more affordable than other, complete (with stat) 'complete set-ups' if people are comparing prices

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

kneon light
Egg

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2011 :  15:04:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1 12 week old Cremsicle corn snake purchased and currently curled up in it's viv :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000