The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 best mat stat thermostat

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
viraleye Posted - 15/09/2011 : 07:48:13
as title says, what is the best mat stat thermostat?

im not happy with the fluctuations im gettin (low 27 high 32 and i want to be able to keep temperature at exactly 30 if posse?

I've read about pulse thermostats but i don't know enough to comment
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
viraleye Posted - 21/09/2011 : 10:08:04
well i have to say, after having recieved my HabiStat Pulse Thermostat, its the dogs danglies!

I checked my temps this morning and it had a high of 30.8 and a low of 28.9 so much much better than my on/off microclimate 100w.

I have reset my thermometer readings and will check again when i get home, but i have to say that for £38.00 i reccommend anyone to get it!
viraleye Posted - 17/09/2011 : 17:14:23
yeah i read about the 5 yr guarantee :-)
Kehhlyr Posted - 17/09/2011 : 15:43:39
quote:
Originally posted by viraleye

ive gone and bought a HabiStat Pulse Thermostat.

I want the best for Cyrus and £38.00 isnt really much to pay for something that'll hopefully last years :-)

Just rememeber to keep the box and receipt as well, habistat have a superb returns/warranty facility, think they'll fix or replace any broken stat within 5 years for a few quid (postage) if you still have the receipt.
viraleye Posted - 17/09/2011 : 09:59:11
ive gone and bought a HabiStat Pulse Thermostat.

I want the best for Cyrus and £38.00 isnt really much to pay for something that'll hopefully last years :-)
viraleye Posted - 16/09/2011 : 08:58:24
its in the front bedroom but heating just goes on for an hour at night for the moment as it goes a bit nippy.

i know im probably over worrying, it just really concerns Me :-|
Simmy_82 Posted - 16/09/2011 : 08:32:31
But if the room temp is say 18 degress, it will drag it down quiet quickly when the heat mat is turned off by the stat. I have the same problem in my bedroom (where the snake is). Its a south facing room, gets no sun at all during the day and the average room temp is 17-18*C. When the stat turns off i can see the temp on my thermometer dropping. it drops a degreee or two and turns back on, drops about another half a degree and then stops and slowly brings it back up to 29.5*C. And i am sure it will get even colder at night. Is the radiator on in that room? I havent even turned the heating back on in my flat yet. Its still summer (if you can call it summer)

As i said yesterday there is no need to worry, these types of temperatures happen in the wild and they survive out there
viraleye Posted - 16/09/2011 : 07:41:45
its not super cold and has a radiator and sun on that room every day.
Simmy_82 Posted - 16/09/2011 : 07:19:08
I still think it's down to the room being cold.
viraleye Posted - 16/09/2011 : 06:34:12
I've already done that :-!
Kehhlyr Posted - 15/09/2011 : 23:36:40
With the microclimate stats, I get a smaller variation when I have a sheet of polystyrene under the rubs/fauns/vivs as well.
viraleye Posted - 15/09/2011 : 20:54:36
well i just checked my high and low stats since last night;

high 34
low 24

that's quite a bit of difference???
ptmbradley Posted - 15/09/2011 : 19:19:35
Honestly, stop fretting so.

Corns are hardy snakes and will cope quite happily with the equipment you already have. Even if you had a lengthy power cut in the dead of winter, your snake would get through it. Heat is important for digestion, but other than that it's not an overly worrying issue. The majority of my snakes seem to spend a lot more of their time in the cool hide than they do the warm one. It used to bother me, but they know what they want a lot more than I do and they're all doing fine.

Like Kehhlyr said, as long as your stat stops the mat from overheating, it's doing its job.
viraleye Posted - 15/09/2011 : 15:59:43
ill try n stop worrying, but i still plan on getting a better stat
Simmy_82 Posted - 15/09/2011 : 15:35:30
Again i thought the same, but they are fairly hardy animals.
viraleye Posted - 15/09/2011 : 15:26:29
i was constantly checking every 5 minutes.

he seems such a delicate fella :-|
Simmy_82 Posted - 15/09/2011 : 15:21:52
I think so too. I was the same not long ago when i first got mine. It takes a while for the temp to stabilise. I was tinkering with mine for a week or too.
viraleye Posted - 15/09/2011 : 14:47:12
i think im maybe overworrying :-(
Simmy_82 Posted - 15/09/2011 : 14:00:57
I'd wait til you room is ready and lived in again. Once the room is heated as normal then see how the stat is performing before going and buying a new one. The temps its fluctating between are fine, I can understand your worry but it will steady out to 1/2 degree changes which is fine. Its not a constant temperature in the wild.
viraleye Posted - 15/09/2011 : 13:58:23
quote:
Originally posted by Simmy_82

Your snake will be happy with those fluctuations. As long as it doesnt drop too much below 26 you'll be fine, the mat stat will stop it getting to high.

EDIT: If you room is fairly cold that could be whats casuing it. Especially with the heat dropping so quickly. You will be fine with the mat stat, and once your heating comes on for winter you will see it begin t steady out. Mine heats to 29.5, but my mat stat reads 27.

Its currently in the front room which is empty and bare plaster on the walls (currently decorating) so possibly why. I just want it to be perfect :)
viraleye Posted - 15/09/2011 : 13:54:50
quote:
Originally posted by Simmy_82

Your snake will be happy with those fluctuations. As long as it doesnt drop too much below 26 you'll be fine, the mat stat will stop it getting to high.

my carbometer has a min and low reading so when i get home tonight i'll see what the temps today have been like.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000