The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Sexing

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Aces2011 Posted - 25/06/2011 : 14:25:36
Sorry in advance for all the newbie questions but is there anyway i can tell if my corn is male or female, i know its hard to be precise without popping or using probes, and to be honest i dont know if the are any breeders or vets that are reliable in my area. i read something about the way the tail tapers. thanks in advance for any replies
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 27/06/2011 : 21:59:01
it sounds like a 'fun' way to waste a whole loada time lol
mikerichards Posted - 27/06/2011 : 21:33:50
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

i'm usually pretty accurate sexing by tail length but you really need to know what you're looking for and take the whole snake's conformation into account......eg. a fat male might have hips making his tail appear to taper sharply and look relatively short

you can also do a scale count on a shed skin but there is a big 'grey area' that's not definitely a male or female

interesting, not looking into that side of it at all, not had any need to mind, if i cant do it visually, i can probe!
gingerpony Posted - 27/06/2011 : 20:57:20
i'm usually pretty accurate sexing by tail length but you really need to know what you're looking for and take the whole snake's conformation into account......eg. a fat male might have hips making his tail appear to taper sharply and look relatively short

you can also do a scale count on a shed skin but there is a big 'grey area' that's not definitely a male or female
Spreebok Posted - 26/06/2011 : 19:10:43
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

quote:
Originally posted by Spreebok

It's somewhat true that those with shorter tails are female, and those with longer tails are male, but my Psiren is a female (probed twice) and she has a tail which is, in relation to their seperate sizes, the same as Listers (male)

Fixed it for you!!

Visual sexing is possible, very much so, but you do need to know what you are looking at, if you dont know, then its very much a guessing game.
If its the only one you have, then its not too much of an issue.
You can always post a pic, and if its obvious, then someone here can give you a good idea.

Haha, oh dear, brain fart!
mikerichards Posted - 25/06/2011 : 22:46:05
quote:
Originally posted by Spreebok

It's somewhat true that those with shorter tails are female, and those with longer tails are male, but my Psiren is a female (probed twice) and she has a tail which is, in relation to their seperate sizes, the same as Listers (male)

Fixed it for you!!

Visual sexing is possible, very much so, but you do need to know what you are looking at, if you dont know, then its very much a guessing game.
If its the only one you have, then its not too much of an issue.
You can always post a pic, and if its obvious, then someone here can give you a good idea.
Spreebok Posted - 25/06/2011 : 22:27:12
Sta~ple Posted - 25/06/2011 : 17:02:41
Nope, visual is just a guess and unless you have something to compared it to such as a probed def male and female, it's almost useless sadly. The only other thing I can think of is if you ever get a shed with sperm plugs you known it's male lol, I have only had one shed by a male with sperm in it and I have had that guy for 12 years now XD

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000