The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Shedding Frequency

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
PureLoneWolf Posted - 19/06/2011 : 16:21:10
Hi all

We picked up Hongy at the beginning of May and the previous owner said that he had shed 2 weeks previous..I handled him a couple of days ago and noticed that his colours had dulled, belly was grey etc..

So I left him alone and, sure enough, he has been hidden away since. I lifted his hide to check him today and his eyes are cloudy. I guess I am going to get my first shed with him a lot sooner than expected :)

That said, it does seem to be quite a short interval (9 weeks 'ish) between sheds, for a 3 year old corn. I have made a few changes to his setup, based on information found on here (more plants, aspen instead of orchid bark, thermostat controlled heat mat etc).

I realise he is a living creature and not a machine, but is it just a case of "if he needs to shed, he will shed" or could something in his environment cause it earlier than it should be?

Cheers
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 20/06/2011 : 14:12:29
if he was shedding [/]a lot[/i] more frequently i'd be asking more questions but really, he'll be fine, it's normal
PureLoneWolf Posted - 20/06/2011 : 00:33:47
Thanks - He is definitely not wounded, bruised or mite infested...I guess he just needed to shed :)

Sometimes, you can read too much...and then get worried when the snake has, apparently, decided not to read the FAQ lol
gingerpony Posted - 19/06/2011 : 22:35:40
it's not an unusual timescale as G has said but yes there are other factors that can cause frequent shedding such as wounds, bruises, external parasites, but i wouldn't be worried unless he was shedding every 2-4 weeks at that age
PureLoneWolf Posted - 19/06/2011 : 17:02:40
Thanks, that's good to know. I thought I read somewhere that it was normally 3-4 months, so I figured that just over 2 months was a bit of a short time between sheds..
gmac Posted - 19/06/2011 : 16:23:43
I dont think 9 weeks is a short space of time for a shed from a 3 year old. All depends on the size of snake and foods hes getting.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000