Shedding Frequency
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PureLoneWolf
Snake Mite

Germany
30 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2011 :  16:21:10  Show Profile  Visit PureLoneWolf's Homepage  Click to see PureLoneWolf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi all

We picked up Hongy at the beginning of May and the previous owner said that he had shed 2 weeks previous..I handled him a couple of days ago and noticed that his colours had dulled, belly was grey etc..

So I left him alone and, sure enough, he has been hidden away since. I lifted his hide to check him today and his eyes are cloudy. I guess I am going to get my first shed with him a lot sooner than expected :)

That said, it does seem to be quite a short interval (9 weeks 'ish) between sheds, for a 3 year old corn. I have made a few changes to his setup, based on information found on here (more plants, aspen instead of orchid bark, thermostat controlled heat mat etc).

I realise he is a living creature and not a machine, but is it just a case of "if he needs to shed, he will shed" or could something in his environment cause it earlier than it should be?

Cheers

0.0.1 Corn (Hongy)

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2011 :  16:23:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont think 9 weeks is a short space of time for a shed from a 3 year old. All depends on the size of snake and foods hes getting.

Go to Top of Page

PureLoneWolf
Snake Mite

Germany
30 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2011 :  17:02:40  Show Profile  Visit PureLoneWolf's Homepage  Click to see PureLoneWolf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks, that's good to know. I thought I read somewhere that it was normally 3-4 months, so I figured that just over 2 months was a bit of a short time between sheds..

0.0.1 Corn (Hongy)
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2011 :  22:35:40  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
it's not an unusual timescale as G has said but yes there are other factors that can cause frequent shedding such as wounds, bruises, external parasites, but i wouldn't be worried unless he was shedding every 2-4 weeks at that age

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

PureLoneWolf
Snake Mite

Germany
30 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2011 :  00:33:47  Show Profile  Visit PureLoneWolf's Homepage  Click to see PureLoneWolf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks - He is definitely not wounded, bruised or mite infested...I guess he just needed to shed :)

Sometimes, you can read too much...and then get worried when the snake has, apparently, decided not to read the FAQ lol

0.0.1 Corn (Hongy)
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2011 :  14:12:29  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if he was shedding [/]a lot[/i] more frequently i'd be asking more questions but really, he'll be fine, it's normal

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000