The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 quick reply needed please

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Danny919 Posted - 18/06/2011 : 16:31:26
Hi all if i order some pinkies online and get them delivered, when they arrive no doubt they will be defrosted will these then be okay to refreeze and thawing them out when its feeding time ? or will it affect my corn ?
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
a33272 Posted - 18/06/2011 : 22:00:24
quote:
Originally posted by tordyjo

I wouldn't feed thawed and then refrozen food, would you want to eat a chicken that had been frozen then thawed and then refrozen, i wouldn't, the bugs that could have grown etc, i've always bought my mice from the local pet shop (not a retail chain one) and never had any problems, never tried mail order

i have thawed an refrozen an feed rethawed before without issue, a snake will eat what it can in the wild dead or alive, they digest food differnt to us, they eat raw chicks which could potentialy kill us remember. the only time i wouldnt refreeze was if it had been heated up to get a better feeding response

EDIT sorry gp must of been typing this at same time lol
gingerpony Posted - 18/06/2011 : 21:57:12
quote:
Originally posted by tordyjo

I wouldn't feed thawed and then refrozen food, would you want to eat a chicken that had been frozen then thawed and then refrozen

but we're talking about a snake's digestive system not a humans......corns are opportunistic and will happily eat something a few days dead
there is no Food Hygiene Certificate for the preparation of snake food!
tarotpodge Posted - 18/06/2011 : 21:30:45
im considering mail order. As when i go to buy from my local pet shop, they always have every other size of mouse other than what i need/ want. I used to breed mice(many moons ago). and what they sell as a xlarge mouse is not my idea of a xlarge mouse. But i am cautious. Dont want to buy something that i cant see b4 i buy. One mans xlarge mouse is another mans normal sized mouse (if that makes sense)
tordyjo Posted - 18/06/2011 : 21:20:18
I wouldn't feed thawed and then refrozen food, would you want to eat a chicken that had been frozen then thawed and then refrozen, i wouldn't, the bugs that could have grown etc, i've always bought my mice from the local pet shop (not a retail chain one) and never had any problems, never tried mail order
gingerpony Posted - 18/06/2011 : 21:18:23
i refreeze, and if they've not been thoroughly thawed and heated ready to be fed i'm sure they'll be fine to chuck in the freezer
herriotfan Posted - 18/06/2011 : 18:55:04
I'm sure most online suppliers use the frozen packs to keep the mice frozen so it shouldn't be an issue.
kdlang Posted - 18/06/2011 : 17:04:44
Mine have always arrived frozen too. They came in a polystyrene box with some dry ice (although sometimes I think you have to pay extra for dry ice, depending on who you get them from)
ntbryenton-rochard Posted - 18/06/2011 : 16:58:46
I don't know if it's ok to re-freeze defosted mice but I ordered mice online and mine came with these frozen packs in the box along with the mice so they were still frozen when I got them.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000