The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 handling

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kopite_di Posted - 12/06/2011 : 15:06:18
This might sound daft but how will I know if my cilla is happy to be handled ? When I get her out she squirms so much always curling round my hands and arms etc so is this what they do or is she trying to get away ? she is almost 6 months old
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kopite_di Posted - 13/06/2011 : 07:55:24
Oh she's always letting me wrap my fingers round her :) x
Spreebok Posted - 13/06/2011 : 01:09:17
One of the ways I've found, it that when happy and relaxed, you can gentle bend and wind a snake around your fingers (when small obviously haha) and they will relax into it, not a problem. When they're getting fed up, if you try it they will put up a bit of resistance, to point of them refusing point blank to be 'bent'. Of course, there are other signs, such as darting, tongue signs and whathaveyou :)
kopite_di Posted - 12/06/2011 : 22:43:25
Aww that's so cute thanks guys x x
lotabob Posted - 12/06/2011 : 15:44:54
You'll know the difference between just exploring and them having had enough. One of the obvious signs I watch for is lack of tongue flicking or almost exaggerated tongue flicking where they hold the tongue out far longer than is necessary (basically they are no longer smelling the environment so not exploring). You will get to read your snake though. With Spot I get him out and he goes mad exploring, tongue flicking all over, then he settles, wraps round my hand and steals my body heat for a bit, then he will have another little explore, when he starts trying to find places to hide I will consider putting him back unless he disappears into a sleeve, then its a waiting game for him coming back out.
tordyjo Posted - 12/06/2011 : 15:23:35
both mine love to curl on my hands and crawl down my arms, it just depends how far you feel comfortable letting them go
lucifer Posted - 12/06/2011 : 15:20:45
If you get her in a regular handling routine and allow her to get used to your scent she should be fine. They can be quite speedy but generally they get used to being handled.
As for curling round your hands and arms that the cutest thing about snakes :), to them it can be quite like sitting on a high branch they want to cling on safely.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000