The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 correct mouse size

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ntbryenton-rochard Posted - 10/06/2011 : 21:36:14
I have read on several posts that a mouse should leave a lump in the snake when fed. This has got me worried that my mice are too small. Ammy has been eating meduim mice that are slightly bigger than his previous owner was feeding him. With the mice he is on now there is a lump as the mouse goes down but by the time it gets to his stomach I can see anything any more. Are his mice too small? Ammy was 14 months old, 3' long and weighed 337g when I did his measurements 3 weeks ago. Also, how often should I be taking measurements?
Thank you?
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sta~ple Posted - 12/06/2011 : 10:16:56
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

the food doesn't have to leave a lump.........if it did i'd have to feed my OAP large rat weaners.....and in time, when his body and stomach have stretched further due to large meals he'd have to be on small adult rats to leave a bump, which would stretch his body and stomach further then he'd have to move up onto medium rats etc etc

it can be a useful guide for food size for a growing cornsnake but there are other factors to consider such as the food size should ideally be no more than 1.5 times the width of the snake's body, the snake's body condition, what you are trying to achieve ie. feeding to get a breeding female back up to weighyt after laying, the frequency of feeds.....

I think this point needs to be stressed more. This is how my adult got obese and I would hate it to happen to another snake.

Medium mice at 14 months old seems fine, if not more than other 1 month olds usually get fed!
eeji Posted - 11/06/2011 : 22:52:20
medium mice weekly is ok for that size. you can take measurements whenever you like, personally I don't bother.
gingerpony Posted - 10/06/2011 : 21:43:12
the food doesn't have to leave a lump.........if it did i'd have to feed my OAP large rat weaners.....and in time, when his body and stomach have stretched further due to large meals he'd have to be on small adult rats to leave a bump, which would stretch his body and stomach further then he'd have to move up onto medium rats etc etc

it can be a useful guide for food size for a growing cornsnake but there are other factors to consider such as the food size should ideally be no more than 1.5 times the width of the snake's body, the snake's body condition, what you are trying to achieve ie. feeding to get a breeding female back up to weighyt after laying, the frequency of feeds.....

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000