correct mouse size
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ntbryenton-rochard
Hatchling

165 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  21:36:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have read on several posts that a mouse should leave a lump in the snake when fed. This has got me worried that my mice are too small. Ammy has been eating meduim mice that are slightly bigger than his previous owner was feeding him. With the mice he is on now there is a lump as the mouse goes down but by the time it gets to his stomach I can see anything any more. Are his mice too small? Ammy was 14 months old, 3' long and weighed 337g when I did his measurements 3 weeks ago. Also, how often should I be taking measurements?
Thank you?

1.2.0 kids (Joshua-14, Katie-6 Holly-3)
1.0.0 Corn snake (Amazon-16 months)
1.0.0 Whites tree frog (Froggy-unknown age but owned for 3 years)
0.1.0 Dog (Sophie-11 years)
1.0.0 Cat (Charlie-9 years)
1.0.0 Guineapig (Rox-8 months)
0.1.0 Rabbit (Snowball-3 years)

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  21:43:12  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the food doesn't have to leave a lump.........if it did i'd have to feed my OAP large rat weaners.....and in time, when his body and stomach have stretched further due to large meals he'd have to be on small adult rats to leave a bump, which would stretch his body and stomach further then he'd have to move up onto medium rats etc etc

it can be a useful guide for food size for a growing cornsnake but there are other factors to consider such as the food size should ideally be no more than 1.5 times the width of the snake's body, the snake's body condition, what you are trying to achieve ie. feeding to get a breeding female back up to weighyt after laying, the frequency of feeds.....

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2011 :  22:52:20  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
medium mice weekly is ok for that size. you can take measurements whenever you like, personally I don't bother.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  10:16:56  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

the food doesn't have to leave a lump.........if it did i'd have to feed my OAP large rat weaners.....and in time, when his body and stomach have stretched further due to large meals he'd have to be on small adult rats to leave a bump, which would stretch his body and stomach further then he'd have to move up onto medium rats etc etc

it can be a useful guide for food size for a growing cornsnake but there are other factors to consider such as the food size should ideally be no more than 1.5 times the width of the snake's body, the snake's body condition, what you are trying to achieve ie. feeding to get a breeding female back up to weighyt after laying, the frequency of feeds.....

I think this point needs to be stressed more. This is how my adult got obese and I would hate it to happen to another snake.

Medium mice at 14 months old seems fine, if not more than other 1 month olds usually get fed!

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000