The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 nasty snakie

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jim Posted - 07/06/2011 : 19:03:14
hi just been offered a adult male corn by local pet store, know them well, trouble is that its a nastie good looking large beastie its in a large rub at the moment but when going to handle, it will tail whip spit at you then bites you and is a very nervous snake it obviously needs handling a lot more but just wondering if this behaviour could be down to something else otherwise will buy and give it a chance any advice is welcome
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LucyB Posted - 08/06/2011 : 14:46:32
Well done for getting him and good luck!
HannahB Posted - 08/06/2011 : 14:45:57
quote:
Originally posted by Spreebok

@Louise:
I reckon there are snakes that are plain grumpy, just like there are snakes that are completely doofy and friendly! :)

I think our Zero comes under the plain grumpy bracket
hes not as bad as he used to be but he can be nice as pie one moment and the next (usually while being handled) he starts getting antsy and you can see him trying to rattle his tail and make a noise at you.. kinda hard putting a rattly grouchy snake away in his viv whilst trying to watch where his head is and where the viv door is and where your hands/arms/fingers are!
jim Posted - 08/06/2011 : 14:43:36
went to pet shop and got him he was in his water bowl completely submerged any how i picked him up out of his bowl without any fuss and brought him home didnt hiss or strike when picked up. the pet shop said that the snake has come from a family home but they never held it just fed it it looks healthy very bright and thick well he now has a hide and put away in a warm dark place to settle down will keep you posted
ptmbradley Posted - 08/06/2011 : 13:27:33
well there seem to be a few humans in the world that are just pure evil so I daresay there are a few in the animal kingdom as well. Just hope none of them ever find their way into my home! lol
lotabob Posted - 08/06/2011 : 13:11:21
I think there is a forum for those snakes www.thekingsnake.co.uk lol.

I am sure there will be snakes out there that are just demons but I think when snakes that are easy to handle are bred the temperament must in some way be imprinted in the genetics of those snakes. I bet wild caught corns are far more aggressive but the one you are able to catch and keep is the one that's a bit tamer, maybe a bit slower and so that temperament ends up in the captive gene pool. (At least that's my thought on it and how selective breeding has helped to shape the other animals in the pet trade). Its an interesting thought though, maybe there are rogue ninja snakes out there out for blood.
Spreebok Posted - 08/06/2011 : 13:11:05
@Louise:
I reckon there are snakes that are plain grumpy, just like there are snakes that are completely doofy and friendly! :)
Invalid User Posted - 08/06/2011 : 13:03:58
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

You never know that might just work. PMSL.

Its not a nasty snake its a scared snake acting as a scared snake does. I would love the opportunity of working with an animal like this, try and establish a sort of trust or at least a balance. It will take lots of patience and understanding on your part but think of the reward at the end of it, a snake that likes you but might still bite everyone else. lol.

Im interested in this response.

I know we say all the time that a snake is scared and is not being aggresive blah blah blah, and my boa is exactly that, just a bit nervous but will hiss and strike like a killer snake BUT there must be some snake even corns out there that are just nasty/grumpy?

Is it not like with any other type of animal, dogs, cats, etc, generally they are tame and sociable but you do get some that are just nasty little buggers and no amount of time spent socializing them will change them?

Just wondered what you all think?
FiestaSTLou Posted - 08/06/2011 : 12:18:45
Glad to hear your going for it :) just let it settle in with no handling for the right amount of time, then when you do handle just be confidence and dont be put off by their attacks, we also recued a corn that had never been handled, and she did the same as what your corn was doing, but we got her out for 5 mins a time first time with gloves atmiditly, let her play her face and after a few times, shes now as layed back as our other snakes that we got from babies, if anything, shes the one that dosnt give us any jip, doesnt strike at us, but strike feeds and eats every time and sheds perfect.. her only flaw is pooing on the bed.. :/ lmao! wish u all the best of luck :)
animalcrazy Posted - 08/06/2011 : 07:27:05
Great you are giving the snake a chance, really looking forward to hearing how it does over the coming months.
Good Luck.
lotabob Posted - 08/06/2011 : 00:45:45
Good luck, I look forward to hearing your trials, and breakthroughs.
jim Posted - 08/06/2011 : 00:10:15
thanks for all the advice and humor its made my mind up and will be getting it tomorrow in for a penny in for a pound i can give it a nice home and wont give up on it watch this space lol getting the plasters ready now
lotabob Posted - 07/06/2011 : 23:02:04
You never know that might just work. PMSL.

Its not a nasty snake its a scared snake acting as a scared snake does. I would love the opportunity of working with an animal like this, try and establish a sort of trust or at least a balance. It will take lots of patience and understanding on your part but think of the reward at the end of it, a snake that likes you but might still bite everyone else. lol.
Mort13 Posted - 07/06/2011 : 22:09:41
Lol at snake in your pocket!!!
Mamma Posted - 07/06/2011 : 21:18:04
LMAO. I was tryin to write it with my older daughter bending my ear about Dr Who. Sorry!!! hahahaha
tordyjo Posted - 07/06/2011 : 21:04:33
quote:
Originally posted by Mamma

Put a snake in your pocket etc and keep it with you for 24 hours. Then pop it in his rub/viv. That way he begins to recognise your smell.

LMAO not sure i'd want a feisty one in my pocket - i know you really meant a sock
Spreebok Posted - 07/06/2011 : 21:03:38
quote:
I learned a trick on here that helped out loads though. Put a snake in your pocket etc and keep it with you for 24 hours. Then pop it in his rub/viv. That way he begins to recognise your smell.

Wouldn't recommend that myself, a sock is much better
gingerpony Posted - 07/06/2011 : 20:40:05
quote:
Originally posted by jim

hi just been offered a adult male corn...it will tail whip spit at you then bites you

are you sure it's a corn?!!
eeji Posted - 07/06/2011 : 20:07:04
go for it, feisty snakes keep you on your toes :)
SexyBear77 Posted - 07/06/2011 : 19:55:48
Aye, but there's wee nippy snakes, and there's big nippy snakes....

Your choice at the end of the day, but I would say that if you buy it, you keep, even if it doesn't settle down, otherwise its just going to end up getting shifted from pillar to post. Give it a very secure setup, plenty of hides/foliage, leave it a few weeks to settle and see what happens.
Mamma Posted - 07/06/2011 : 19:53:49
whats its story? How old is it? Has it been handled in the past? You need to ask the pet shop these questions... chances are the pet shop have been given it by someone who no longer could and or wanted to care for it.

Griffin is my rescue corn. Hes 5 foot in length. He would hiss etc and strike whenever I went near him etc. He was my 1st experience with such a large corn. I learned a trick on here that helped out loads though. Put a sock in your pocket etc and keep it with you for 24 hours. Then pop it in his rub/viv. That way he begins to recognise your smell.

I have gotten to the stage now where he is less agressive with me and allows me to handle him now without any stiking or hissing. Hes still a bit skittersh and anxious if being handled for too long.. and hes a powerful boy. It will take me time to get him completely comfortable with me and being handled by me. At first I was uncertain that I would be able to manage him but you have to have confidence.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000