Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jim
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  19:03:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi just been offered a adult male corn by local pet store, know them well, trouble is that its a nastie good looking large beastie its in a large rub at the moment but when going to handle, it will tail whip spit at you then bites you and is a very nervous snake it obviously needs handling a lot more but just wondering if this behaviour could be down to something else otherwise will buy and give it a chance any advice is welcome

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  19:27:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe its just been badly handled and fussed about with too much? Problem is, you might buy it, it might settle in and get better...... but chances are it will also stay that way and you might totally lose your nerve and want rid of it.

How much experience do you have with snakes like that?

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

jim
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  19:48:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have had a few that have been fiesty but have all been younger and have calmed down after plenty of handling
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  19:53:49  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
whats its story? How old is it? Has it been handled in the past? You need to ask the pet shop these questions... chances are the pet shop have been given it by someone who no longer could and or wanted to care for it.

Griffin is my rescue corn. Hes 5 foot in length. He would hiss etc and strike whenever I went near him etc. He was my 1st experience with such a large corn. I learned a trick on here that helped out loads though. Put a sock in your pocket etc and keep it with you for 24 hours. Then pop it in his rub/viv. That way he begins to recognise your smell.

I have gotten to the stage now where he is less agressive with me and allows me to handle him now without any stiking or hissing. Hes still a bit skittersh and anxious if being handled for too long.. and hes a powerful boy. It will take me time to get him completely comfortable with me and being handled by me. At first I was uncertain that I would be able to manage him but you have to have confidence.

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/

Edited by - Mamma on 08/06/2011 12:59:42
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  19:55:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aye, but there's wee nippy snakes, and there's big nippy snakes....

Your choice at the end of the day, but I would say that if you buy it, you keep, even if it doesn't settle down, otherwise its just going to end up getting shifted from pillar to post. Give it a very secure setup, plenty of hides/foliage, leave it a few weeks to settle and see what happens.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  20:07:04  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
go for it, feisty snakes keep you on your toes :)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  20:40:05  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jim

hi just been offered a adult male corn...it will tail whip spit at you then bites you

are you sure it's a corn?!!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  21:03:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I learned a trick on here that helped out loads though. Put a snake in your pocket etc and keep it with you for 24 hours. Then pop it in his rub/viv. That way he begins to recognise your smell.

Wouldn't recommend that myself, a sock is much better
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  21:04:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mamma

Put a snake in your pocket etc and keep it with you for 24 hours. Then pop it in his rub/viv. That way he begins to recognise your smell.

LMAO not sure i'd want a feisty one in my pocket - i know you really meant a sock

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  21:18:04  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
LMAO. I was tryin to write it with my older daughter bending my ear about Dr Who. Sorry!!! hahahaha

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  22:09:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol at snake in your pocket!!!

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  23:02:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You never know that might just work. PMSL.

Its not a nasty snake its a scared snake acting as a scared snake does. I would love the opportunity of working with an animal like this, try and establish a sort of trust or at least a balance. It will take lots of patience and understanding on your part but think of the reward at the end of it, a snake that likes you but might still bite everyone else. lol.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

jim
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  00:10:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for all the advice and humor its made my mind up and will be getting it tomorrow in for a penny in for a pound i can give it a nice home and wont give up on it watch this space lol getting the plasters ready now
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  00:45:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck, I look forward to hearing your trials, and breakthroughs.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

animalcrazy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  07:27:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great you are giving the snake a chance, really looking forward to hearing how it does over the coming months.
Good Luck.

Go to Top of Page

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  12:18:45  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear your going for it :) just let it settle in with no handling for the right amount of time, then when you do handle just be confidence and dont be put off by their attacks, we also recued a corn that had never been handled, and she did the same as what your corn was doing, but we got her out for 5 mins a time first time with gloves atmiditly, let her play her face and after a few times, shes now as layed back as our other snakes that we got from babies, if anything, shes the one that dosnt give us any jip, doesnt strike at us, but strike feeds and eats every time and sheds perfect.. her only flaw is pooing on the bed.. :/ lmao! wish u all the best of luck :)

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  13:03:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

You never know that might just work. PMSL.

Its not a nasty snake its a scared snake acting as a scared snake does. I would love the opportunity of working with an animal like this, try and establish a sort of trust or at least a balance. It will take lots of patience and understanding on your part but think of the reward at the end of it, a snake that likes you but might still bite everyone else. lol.

Im interested in this response.

I know we say all the time that a snake is scared and is not being aggresive blah blah blah, and my boa is exactly that, just a bit nervous but will hiss and strike like a killer snake BUT there must be some snake even corns out there that are just nasty/grumpy?

Is it not like with any other type of animal, dogs, cats, etc, generally they are tame and sociable but you do get some that are just nasty little buggers and no amount of time spent socializing them will change them?

Just wondered what you all think?
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  13:11:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@Louise:
I reckon there are snakes that are plain grumpy, just like there are snakes that are completely doofy and friendly! :)
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  13:11:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think there is a forum for those snakes www.thekingsnake.co.uk lol.

I am sure there will be snakes out there that are just demons but I think when snakes that are easy to handle are bred the temperament must in some way be imprinted in the genetics of those snakes. I bet wild caught corns are far more aggressive but the one you are able to catch and keep is the one that's a bit tamer, maybe a bit slower and so that temperament ends up in the captive gene pool. (At least that's my thought on it and how selective breeding has helped to shape the other animals in the pet trade). Its an interesting thought though, maybe there are rogue ninja snakes out there out for blood.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  13:27:33  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well there seem to be a few humans in the world that are just pure evil so I daresay there are a few in the animal kingdom as well. Just hope none of them ever find their way into my home! lol

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

jim
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  14:43:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
went to pet shop and got him he was in his water bowl completely submerged any how i picked him up out of his bowl without any fuss and brought him home didnt hiss or strike when picked up. the pet shop said that the snake has come from a family home but they never held it just fed it it looks healthy very bright and thick well he now has a hide and put away in a warm dark place to settle down will keep you posted
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000