The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 How often do you handle your snakes?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LucyB Posted - 31/05/2011 : 14:47:03
Hi there,
We have had our 3yr old corn since last Monday. I didn't handle him until Friday, but we have handles him twice a day until yesterday when he had his first feed with us. I just want to make sure we aren't handling him too much? He seems very relaxed and happy when out and seems happy to be got out of his viv for a bit of exploring. Each time he has been out for 5-15 minutes. I'm keen to handle him as often as I can so that I don't let my newbie nerves kick back in, and also so he is used to handling for the children etc.

How often do you handle your corns?!
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
rubberbiscuit Posted - 02/06/2011 : 20:22:18
Kiora gets handled about 5-10mins twice a week on average. I think its down to the personality of the snake once you get them past the hatchling stage TBH. I know they dont have personalities as such but some are def more curious and adventurous then others.
If Kiora was always out exploring and trying to get out of his Faun I would handle him more often, as it is I never see him and have to hunt him down to handle him! He is a perfectly calm, relaxed snake but prefers to stay hidden rather then be on display and Im happy if he's happy!!
To me my reptiles are kinda like my fish. I enjoy caring for them, watching them and admiring them but thats all I want out of them, I too have plenty of fluffy pets to cuddle!
tarotpodge Posted - 02/06/2011 : 20:07:22
i tend to handle mine by judging its behaviour. if she/he is active and alert i handle if it is having a chillaxin day, i leave it be. but only handle for 10-15 mins. by then it has had enough.
Katie.Dublin Posted - 02/06/2011 : 19:27:10
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

Thats not snakes saying "cuddle me and play with me though". That's snakes saying "Oh, hairless monkey is home, maybe we can escape from these boxes." As you said, they like to get out, but I do not believe for one second that snakes *like* or want to be handled.

Oh yeah i know! I am not naive enough to think they love me mawling them! But they do prefer out to in i think! -as you would i suppose.
gingerpony Posted - 02/06/2011 : 16:09:19
handling is physical and mental stimulation for the snake, some will tolerate it, some won't

and handling a snake everyday doesn't neccesarily make it 'more handleable', sometimes the reverse is true and leaving it to it's own devices makes it more relaxed and in turn easier to handle

what i get out of my snakes is the pleasure of looking after them, sometimes breeding them and the species/morphs i have are visually pleasing (yes, even those in RUBs are still seen and appreciated )
SexyBear77 Posted - 02/06/2011 : 13:59:14
quote:
Originally posted by Katie.Dublin

I don't know is it true to say that they dont like or enjoy getting out. Usually after about half an hour of me sitting at my desk studying or whatever, the two heads will be at the door of the vivs nosing to get out. And when i open the doors they both get out straight away and onto my arm and then I put them on the floor! Sometimes i ignore them, but usually one or both of them is out every couple of days! I never lift up hides to find them or anything but I think they do look to get out regularly!

Thats not snakes saying "cuddle me and play with me though". That's snakes saying "Oh, hairless monkey is home, maybe we can escape from these boxes." As you said, they like to get out, but I do not believe for one second that snakes *like* or want to be handled.
eeji Posted - 01/06/2011 : 18:40:18
keeping them in a rub or a viv makes no difference really, at the end of the day its just a container to stop them escaping so no debate needed.
Mort13 Posted - 01/06/2011 : 17:11:17
For me it varies depending on the snake. Loki has always been very secretive and gets handles every couple of days,although over the last few weeks he appears to be getting bolder.
Falcor,unless digesting or in shed gets handled daily as he's always hovering by the viv opening and happily comes out onto my hand. In fact,I have more of an issue getting him back in the viv than out lol!!
The house snakes get handled for a short period daily as they are only young.

Katie.Dublin Posted - 01/06/2011 : 16:26:14
I don't know is it true to say that they dont like or enjoy getting out. Usually after about half an hour of me sitting at my desk studying or whatever, the two heads will be at the door of the vivs nosing to get out. And when i open the doors they both get out straight away and onto my arm and then I put them on the floor! Sometimes i ignore them, but usually one or both of them is out every couple of days! I never lift up hides to find them or anything but I think they do look to get out regularly!
Obviously they're completely different to a dog or a bunny or something, but I would find it very hard to spend the money it costs to keep a snake, just to leave it in a clouded plastic RUB and feed it once a week. I just wouldnt see the point in it. (Ps. i dont mean to start a RUB -v- Viv debate! Im just saying!)
MsThomson Posted - 01/06/2011 : 12:27:39
Mrs West gets handled at least once a day, I am new to snake keeping so Im only going by how I feel and how she reacts to it. I think its definately each to their own. We all get snakes for various reasons... as a pet, as decor becuase we think they look attractive, for breeding or for some it would seem to just "have" much in the same way chavs get staffies!! (not aimed at anyone on here btw) I think that all these different reasons for keeping snakes results in different patterns of handling. None are wrong unless the snake is showing signs of stress or the snake is being neglected. Just my wee opinion x :)
jordy845 Posted - 01/06/2011 : 12:25:49
chii gets handled about twice a day, she always exploring her faun when im not handling her, she is very curious :)
LucyB Posted - 01/06/2011 : 11:26:51
Wow.... I didn't realize this would generate such a response. I was just being nosey!!!
I'm hardly the expert (having owned a snake for all of 9 days!) but my snake seems generally quite curious and from what i have read on here, rearranging the viv seems to be widely accepted as something that is done so that the snakes can enjoy exploring. Surely if this is the case, and they seem not to be stressed by being handled then it is simply allowing them the oppotunity to explore and get excercise outside of their vivarium?
Invalid User Posted - 01/06/2011 : 11:20:06
quote:
Originally posted by animalcrazy

quote:
Originally posted by **Louise**

quote:
Originally posted by ptmbradley

Personally I don't really get the point of keeping them if they are just going to be shut away and seldom interracted with. But each to their own of course.

Because being shut away and seldom interacted with is more natural for the snake.

I don't see the point of people keeping them so they can get them out for hours each day to play with and cuddle.

But yes, each to their own

There lots of arguments about keeping these kinds of animals in captivity full stop. I know I had to think hard before I agreed to take on my friend's snake Colin. Was always worried about small vivs, Is it fair etc I know lots of people feel the same way about birds is it fair to keep them caged etc
I don't really think there is a right or wrong just own judgement just something I think about.

If you use the what's 'natural' argument with captive animals, keeping them in small, plastic tubs with kitchen roll in the bottom isn't very natural either they would normally move a great deal in the wild.

Don't know if anyone watched spring watch last night they had a feature on adders and they are tracking their movements and they cover miles each day. It was amazing!

Not that I'm saying you should just be ignoring the animal's natural behaviours, it's very hard to be consistent I find in my thinking on these type issues.The fun of paradoxes.

Natural environment is a totally different subject. The snakes I own are all Captive Bred and know no different.

However some natural instinct doesn't change whether given a more naturalistic environment or a plastic tub and being handled, which is what the OP was asking, is not natural to a snake. How many times do we see a thread about snakes hiding away, not coming out. It's what they do. Reaching in, lifting them out of their hide so they can be 'handled' is alien to them.
animalcrazy Posted - 01/06/2011 : 11:08:06
quote:
Originally posted by **Louise**

quote:

Personally I don't really get the point of keeping them if they are just going to be shut away and seldom interracted with. But each to their own of course.

Because being shut away and seldom interacted with is more natural for the snake.

I don't see the point of people keeping them so they can get them out for hours each day to play with and cuddle.

There lots of arguments about keeping these kinds of animals in captivity full stop. I know I had to think hard before I agreed to take on my friend's snake Colin. Was always worried about small vivs, Is it fair etc I know lots of people feel the same way about birds is it fair to keep them caged etc
I don't really think there is a right or wrong just own judgement just something I think about.

If you use the what's 'natural' argument with captive animals, keeping them in small, plastic tubs with kitchen roll in the bottom isn't very natural either they would normally move a great deal in the wild.

Don't know if anyone watched spring watch last night they had a feature on adders and they are tracking their movements and they cover miles each day. It was amazing!

Not that I'm saying you should just be ignoring the animal's natural behaviours, it's very hard to be consistent I find in my thinking on these type issues.The fun of paradoxes.
Invalid User Posted - 01/06/2011 : 09:56:03
quote:

MightyMouse Posted - 01/06/2011 : 09:30:07
I only have one snake an it gets handled everyday (except for 2 days after fortnightly feeding or when blue) Everyday, sometimes twice a day. I usually get up in the morning an do my running obout early then an sit on the sofa at about 9am with him an watch glee or casualty or some other mind numbing tv prog is on demend for an half hour or so lol then maby 10 mins in the evening too if it wants to come out to play. I nave wake it up only let it out when its nosing to come out... which is pretty much all the time :)He's super relaxed an content to be out so why stop him if i have the time.
animalcrazy Posted - 01/06/2011 : 08:55:02
Thanks for the replies it's interesting to read the different views.
crazy JJ Posted - 01/06/2011 : 00:36:24
mine very rarely get handled either only when i need to.

i prefer to leave them be, like it has been said on here they dont like being handled they tolerate it.
ptmbradley Posted - 01/06/2011 : 00:35:26
lotabob Posted - 01/06/2011 : 00:16:46
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

IMO thats what cute bunnys are for.

Boa food!!!

I handle regularly when they are small both for my own confidence and also so they are used to interacting with me when they are bigger. When they are bigger though I'm sure I'll only handle them 1 or maybe 2 times a week.
eeji Posted - 01/06/2011 : 00:03:28
IMO thats what cute bunnys are for. I keep snakes because they fascinate me for what they are, not what we think they should be.

Don't get me wrong on this, I do enjoy handling them on the rare occasions they are out but I like the 'wildness' thing about them. As an example, many years ago I had an iguana that also didn't get handled and to the casual observer he was pure evil - tail whipping, clawing, biting etc but to me he was a wild animal and appreciated as such.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000