Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

LucyB
Snake Mite

47 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2011 :  14:47:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there,
We have had our 3yr old corn since last Monday. I didn't handle him until Friday, but we have handles him twice a day until yesterday when he had his first feed with us. I just want to make sure we aren't handling him too much? He seems very relaxed and happy when out and seems happy to be got out of his viv for a bit of exploring. Each time he has been out for 5-15 minutes. I'm keen to handle him as often as I can so that I don't let my newbie nerves kick back in, and also so he is used to handling for the children etc.

How often do you handle your corns?!

jimspook
Egg

77 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2011 :  14:49:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whenever I feel like it is the best answer I can give, sometimes the snake will come out on a daily basis until she gets fed up. Sometimes I neglect for a week or so, it doesn't really matter unless you have a particuarly grumpy corn which will need handling to negate their mood and hopefully chill out a bit.

0.1.0 Normal CB09 - Artemis

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2011 :  14:52:43  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I handle them mainly for about half an hr before each weekly feed. Sometimes I will handle them inbetween too

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2011 :  16:22:19  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I usually aim for at least a couple of times a week. Sometimes it's more, sometimes thay don't get handled at all for a couple of weeks. It can all depend how much time I have got. I have found also that I handle some more than others. For example Swayze probably gets handled the most due to his habit of rushing out the viv as soon as I open it to change his water. Peanut also gets handled more than the others as he is very active and isn't feeding at the moment due to breeding season.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2011 :  16:36:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hardly handle mine at all. Prob 10 mins or so twice a week.
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2011 :  16:38:24  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I handle mine for a while before a feed, and then usually 3 or 4 days later. I've never had them out more than once a day and rarely do I get them out 2 days in a row. No idea if there is a 'right' or 'wrong', it's just usually a time thing for me. If I do handle one more than the others, it'll be my BRB, because I just think he such a great snake and I love handling him. Shame he doesn't seem to feel the same way! lol

I know my OH handles hers on a daily basis, except post-feed.

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2011 :  16:40:25  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by **Louise**

With all your snakes Lou that equates to a good few hours every week! lol

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2011 :  16:56:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ptmbradley

quote:
Originally posted by **Louise**

With all your snakes Lou that equates to a good few hours every week! lol

Exactly! lol Takes me an hour just to change their water!!
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2011 :  16:57:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My two come out everyday (besides feeding and digestion time obviously)! Lister comes out till I get bored, he'd be out all day if he could! Psiren only tends to come out for 10 minutes at a time, she's still calming down for me :)
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2011 :  17:04:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hardly ever.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2011 :  17:10:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh just realised how my reply sounded. I don't handle each snake for 10 mins, I mean all of them, in total probably amounts to 10 mins lol
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2011 :  17:33:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
depends, usually only once or twice a week..if I'm really busy with uni work and work then its probably never except for water changes but if I'm not so busy then I do try to handle them more and get some pics

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2011 :  18:13:28  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
rarely....if they're out and about while i'm doing waters or spot-cleaning they might have a play for 5 mins, if they're not out i don't bother them

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2011 :  19:36:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I handle my three most days, except the day of a feed, 2 days after a feed and if they are shedding. normally for not more than 10 minutes each.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

animalcrazy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2011 :  20:10:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I get mine two out most days except for 48 hours after a feed. for about 15 minutes at a time not to over do it but both are very calm and seem to enjoy being out.

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2011 :  20:12:13  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
never. They get moved while the tubs are cleaned or come out for the very occasional photo and thats it.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2011 :  21:10:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I might handle each of them (only 2) for between 5 and 10 mins daily except for the few days after feeding or when in deep blue i tend to leave them to it

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

animalcrazy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2011 :  22:23:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Genuinely curious, for those people who say they rarely/never handle their snakes and some people keep them in rubs where you can't really see them either (if the plastic is opaque) why do you keep snakes or never handle them? (other than time factors)
Is part of a general interest in all reptiles, breeding, you don't think they should be handled? Just interested :)

One of the great pleasures for me, in the short time I have had them, is handling them :)

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2011 :  22:31:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally, I don't think snakes like nor want to be handled, and I'm certainly not going to try and handle all of mine each week. I like keeping snakes because they are fascinating, but for me they are just not pets for stroking and fussing over.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2011 :  22:55:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exactly as SB said. I didn't buy my snakes to pet and stroke, I have my dogs for that. IMO they are happier left alone and although all mine handle quite well, I doubt they enjoy it, they tolerate it.

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  00:03:28  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
IMO thats what cute bunnys are for. I keep snakes because they fascinate me for what they are, not what we think they should be.

Don't get me wrong on this, I do enjoy handling them on the rare occasions they are out but I like the 'wildness' thing about them. As an example, many years ago I had an iguana that also didn't get handled and to the casual observer he was pure evil - tail whipping, clawing, biting etc but to me he was a wild animal and appreciated as such.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000