The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Shed 3 times in just over a month??

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
rikki44 Posted - 30/05/2011 : 12:05:00
Hi, one of our corn snakes has started shedding again for the thirs time in just over a month. He is two and a half and so is now about three feet long and its only now his sheds have become so close together, with it being once a month for about 8 months previous to this. Is it anything to worry about at all? I wouldnt think twice when he was younger as this is quite normal but now just a little concerned, hope you can help, thank you
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
rikki44 Posted - 31/05/2011 : 20:49:12
hi ginger pony yeah enzo does climb on his branches and bushes in his viv yeah
mikerichards Posted - 30/05/2011 : 23:26:28
I agree with GP, except one point, with my truely extensive experience with mites, they have made no difference what soever to the shed cycle. Sometimes snakes just have a mad cycle of shedding, without extensive biochemical testing, you wont know if its just a hormone imbalance.
gingerpony Posted - 30/05/2011 : 21:22:10
even hatchies at their peak growth-rate you'd only expect to shed about monthly, usual reasons for frequent sheddingare illness, injury or external parasites

out of interest, does your snake like to climb a lot?
rikki44 Posted - 30/05/2011 : 19:14:38
enzo usually sheds once every two months (i previously said each month but that was our younger one), we use snake aspen bedding and has always been the same stuff never changed the make etc. and no, once shed his scales and colour are perfect, bright and no discolouration!
lotabob Posted - 30/05/2011 : 19:10:22
Depends on their age, as hatchlings they shed a lot more frequently than an adult.
Jackk94 Posted - 30/05/2011 : 18:00:54
how often do they shed usually?
lotabob Posted - 30/05/2011 : 16:56:40
I'm not really sure to be honest. I mean there are lots of things it might be but the obvious ones are growing, damage, parasites.

What type of substrate are you using?

There is also a chance of it been some kind of bacterial or fungal infection is there any discolouration on the scales or edge of the scales?
rikki44 Posted - 30/05/2011 : 14:26:11
no not obviously no, i wouldnt say quicker than any other snake really. when he isn't in shed he is perfectly fine eats, drinks and interacts fine doesnt seem ill or anything just this shedding so quick at his age worryin me slightly
lotabob Posted - 30/05/2011 : 14:10:34
Is he growing fast?
rikki44 Posted - 30/05/2011 : 14:09:21
have checked him for mites or scratches or wounds and nothing, had him out for ages checking him before going into shed but nothing seems different at all, feeding him large mice which he doesnt have a problem with either. Really not sure why his shed patterns are so different
SexyBear77 Posted - 30/05/2011 : 13:22:43
what are you feeding him? 3 in one month is certainly odd for a two and a half year old, though you say he was shedding once a month before that, which is also not right.
Spreebok Posted - 30/05/2011 : 12:27:06
Hmmm, has he got any scratches or wounds on him? Has he got mites? Those would be the first things I check :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000