The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Heat mat help?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
m00sifer Posted - 27/05/2011 : 18:22:45
Apologies as I'm sure this has been posted many times before but I've searched everywhere and found so much conflicting advice. I have recently moved my year old corn snake from a RUB (which was heated by a heat mat placed underneath, outside the box) into a wooden viv. I currently have the heat mat inside the viv and covered only by a very thin layer of aspen. I've read posts saying this is completely safe to do as long as it's statted, which it is, and that the thermostat probe can't be moved by the snake, but others saying it's dangerous as the snake could get burnt if in direct contact with the mat. I'm not sure if this only applies to heavier bodied snakes but would rather not take the risk if there's any chance. I am considering siliconing a piece of lino over the top of the mat but don't know if that could cause it to overheat.

Thoughts? Any help would be greatly appreciated as it's stressing me out and I don't know if I'm worrying over nothing :-(
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
m00sifer Posted - 28/05/2011 : 20:37:05
Yeah I had it covered with a thin layer of aspen but she keeps pushing it off, seems to prefer sitting directly on top of it. Glad to know it won't be a problem :-)
lotabob Posted - 27/05/2011 : 20:29:03
I have my corn on a heat mat in a viv, he always moves the substrate out of the way to sit straight on the mat. I have the probes glued to the mat ( I use a hot glue gun to stick it down, its quick and really easy ) and it never gets anywhere near hot enough to burn the snake.
gingerpony Posted - 27/05/2011 : 20:20:34
what you're currently doing is fine
Spreebok Posted - 27/05/2011 : 19:34:57
If you are worried, you can always pop a bit of thick cardboard over the top :)
m00sifer Posted - 27/05/2011 : 19:27:04
So no need to cover the mat then? Also would it be safe to stick the probe down with aquarium sealant, or could it melt?
Ailsa Posted - 27/05/2011 : 18:29:52
What your talking about is called Thermal Blocking (I think) and it applies to heavier bodied snakes, it is where the heavy bodied snakes remain laying on the mat, their body in direct contact with the mat and the heat build up from the mat is not allowed to escape - like when a smaller bodied corn snake lays on their heat mat. This causes burns in the heavier snakes.

At least that's my take on it anyway.

Your right to be worried but your snake will be fine as long as the stat probe can't be moved of mat by the snake.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000