The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 insurance

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
tordyjo Posted - 26/05/2011 : 17:14:26
Ok, so i'm relatively new to this snake keeping business and have been looking into getting my two slithering mates insured. I have a couple of questions

1) Is it worth getting insurance (i'm almost certain the answer will be yes to this)

2) I have a quote for just under £14 a year for the 2 of them that includes £1000 vet fees, loss by death, theft or adverse weather with excesses of £35 for loss and weather etc or 10% for vets fees, by exoticdirect

does this sound ok, if not can anyone guide me to somewhere that is please

ok so a 3rd question, has anyone had to claim on insurance for their snakeys.

Thankyou in advance for answers
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
FiestaSTLou Posted - 27/05/2011 : 10:00:42
I just got a quote on there for the 2 corns, 2 royals and the boa and it is saying £40 for 10 months :o £3.99 a month interest free DD, im tempted to get it :o
gingerpony Posted - 27/05/2011 : 08:44:17
for our collection i think it would cost about £30/month

so an annual premium of £360
x 10 years of paying the premium = £3600

versus the £100 vets bill i've had in that time..........

BUT on the other hand you could be paying a £12/month premium for 6 months, get an eggbound snake that's never been with a male and a £750 vets bill (though you'd have to check out the small print to see what is actually covered)

there's a well-known and heavily-advertised insurance company based quite near us that IMO should be forced to shut down they're that bad for not paying out
ptmbradley Posted - 26/05/2011 : 21:56:22
I am very bitter about insurance of all kinds after they weasled out of a couple of legitimate claims I made. I only take insurance now if it's a legal requirement in the case of my car or a condition of sale as in the case of my mortgage. And I resent those too!

I think people would be much better off putting money under the pillow each month in case of emergencies.
tordyjo Posted - 26/05/2011 : 21:51:26
woopsie, my mistake - i had read it as monthly and for some stupid reason - only known to my subconcious i typed yearly, must be because i'm poorly
Invalid User Posted - 26/05/2011 : 21:32:53
I was going to say are you sure that's not monthly!

I don't have insurance for mine. I have money put away for any vet costs and will make sure I have extra put away once I start breeding them.

Insurance is great, if the company decides to pay out. I always find they manage to wriggle out of it!!
Ailsa Posted - 26/05/2011 : 21:30:25
I am now wondering if I should have my hatchling insured??
animalcrazy Posted - 26/05/2011 : 21:27:46
All the 3 options are per month not a year. Just did a quote for my two as well.
gingerpony Posted - 26/05/2011 : 18:37:46
i think they're the only company offering this kind of insurance so getting a comparable quote might be difficult, even PetPlan's exotics policy is through ExoticsDirect

as a PetPlan appointed inurance advisor of course i should tell you it's wise to insure your pets

in reality i've been keeping reptiles for nearly a decade and i'd hate to think how much i would have paid out to insure my snakes during that time, and i've only had 1 snake that i bought with an RI and it cost me about £100............
tordyjo Posted - 26/05/2011 : 18:02:40
thanks peeps, they've given 3 quotes, i've just put down the most expensive one here, the 2nd one was just under £13 and covered vets only upto £1000 and the cheapest was under £4 and this was for loss by death, theft, fire or weather perils as they put it.
vllb Posted - 26/05/2011 : 17:57:15
When I looked on Exoticdirect is was about £12 a month for my two babies
lee2308 Posted - 26/05/2011 : 17:52:44
never seen it that cheap before,i would normaly say dont bother as any conditions due to inadiqute conditions or breeding they wont pay out and most things will be put down to the setup but at that price you have nothing to lose
tordyjo Posted - 26/05/2011 : 17:19:27
was looking on money saving expert . com, they gave a link to exotic direct, and did an online quote
https://www.exoticdirect.co.uk
Mamma Posted - 26/05/2011 : 17:16:15
oooh where did you get the quote from?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000