The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 How to pick up new snake?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LucyB Posted - 26/05/2011 : 08:12:55
Hi everyone....
Elmo has been with us since Monday morning, and apart from water changes and sorting out the stat probe I have left him alone to settle in. The nerves are now stating to set in though with regards to our first handling session in the next few days!!! I have held a few snakes before and held Elmo for 10 minutes or so on Monday before bringing him home, but It has just occured to me that I have never picked one up and I'm a bit nervous! Any tips? I don't want to just grab him, frighten him, get bitten and lose my nerve forever?!!!!! I know that once I have done it once I'll be fine, but I tend to overthink these things and work myself up the first time!
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
tomp33 Posted - 28/05/2011 : 17:29:30
Haha, this made me laugh because I was like this. I picked up snakey two weeks ago and when I had to get him out for feeding I was just scared lol. I've held loads of snakes before this as well!! But once you do it once it gets easier and you realise they will not bite.
Congrats :)
Invalid User Posted - 28/05/2011 : 16:58:59
Well done. :D
LucyB Posted - 28/05/2011 : 16:47:57
Picked him up by myself this morning. Literally just moved the hide and grabbed him..... easy peasy - don't know what I was making such a fuss over!!!
zandefloss Posted - 27/05/2011 : 14:44:38
I just goin and pick her up around the middle - not super speedy or slow, otherwise she'll either freak out and run off (too fast) or see me coming and run off (too slow) Or I just pick up whatever she's hiding in and scoop her out :) It gets a lot easier over time, don't be put off by the fact they don't seem to want to be picked up at first, they usually settle down quite quickly once the picking up part is over :)

zan x
Ailsa Posted - 27/05/2011 : 14:06:20
I did the slow/steady when handling mine for first few times, now i just lift hide and lift her right up tho if she's in a loo roll tube she takes some nudging to get her out lol
LucyB Posted - 27/05/2011 : 12:49:04
quote:
Originally posted by tordyjo

quote:
Originally posted by LucyB

Am not totally smitten and all nerves are cured. I want another one already!!!

am presuming you me 'now'

Haha yes! Too excited to type!
Invalid User Posted - 27/05/2011 : 12:45:15
Glad you enjoyed it!

Have to say if I tried the slow and steady approach with any of mine I would never catch them, let alone hold them lol

I just lift the hide or whatever they are under and pick them straight up, no messing. More so with the boas lol if I tried to slowly aproach them with my hand I think I would end up with one hanging off the end of it!
tordyjo Posted - 27/05/2011 : 12:29:03
quote:
Originally posted by LucyB

Am not totally smitten and all nerves are cured. I want another one already!!!

am presuming you me 'now'
LucyB Posted - 27/05/2011 : 12:22:06
I'm so excited.... Just did it (well okay..... made hubby pick him up and give him to me!!!) and held him for a good 15 mins. He settled in about 30 seconds! Am not totally smitten and all nerves are cured. I want another one already!!!
lotabob Posted - 27/05/2011 : 01:37:39
I would just go for it, aim to pick it up around the middle of its body though, grabbing it too close to the head or tail could annoy it (I am not allowed to touch Spot's tail, he will take off like a rocket if I do). If its feeling brave and boistrous it may give a hiss or tail rattle but just ignore it, its more likely to be a bluff than meaning business.
eeji Posted - 27/05/2011 : 00:09:06
if he's a baby don't bother with the slow and steady approach, he will just 'run' away. Be quick and firm but gentle. If he is very nervous or shows any defensiveness or aggression use one hand to totally cup over him and the other to pick him up.
Ailsa Posted - 26/05/2011 : 10:34:30
Slow and gentle movement when i pick up mine, she's still settling in so doesn't come to me like Mamma's snakes
Mamma Posted - 26/05/2011 : 09:29:37
I let the snakes come to me i find with mine they dont like it when you come for them from above. xx
Rake Posted - 26/05/2011 : 09:16:29
the best trick is slow and steady and no sudden movements so you dont panic them, pick him up from the side never come from above and you will be fine its amazing how fast they get used to you and start to relax, hope it goes well for you
tordyjo Posted - 26/05/2011 : 09:00:35
I'm no expert, but when i first brought harry home i felt the same, i tend to stroke him somewhere near his tail so he know's i'm coming, was told to pick him up approx 1/3 way down his body, avoiding the head area, once i've picked him up, i let him pretty much crawl on me whereever he wants - within reason, good luck and enjoy

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000