The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 First Viv Questions

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ashma Posted - 12/05/2011 : 11:22:20
Hi all.

About to move my first snake ip to a viv this weekend. Have purchased the LX 24 stackable range and was wondering if anyone has any opinion on the brand? Good? Bad? Easy to use or reliable etc?

Also, I'll be using aspen as a substrate and was wondering whats the best method for securing the heat mat to the floor of the viv?

Cheers
Ash
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Invalid User Posted - 12/05/2011 : 18:20:04
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

quote:
Originally posted by Ailsa

well i hope your viv move goes well for you and snakie lol, no space for vivs in my home so will be using rubs

Those vivs are smaller than the typical 50l style rubs though :p though I suppose you cant put a viv on a shelf!

You could stand that viv on a couple of those ikea tables tho
Sta~ple Posted - 12/05/2011 : 18:15:34
quote:
Originally posted by Ailsa

well i hope your viv move goes well for you and snakie lol, no space for vivs in my home so will be using rubs

Those vivs are smaller than the typical 50l style rubs though :p though I suppose you cant put a viv on a shelf!
Mamma Posted - 12/05/2011 : 16:25:54
I will be purchasing the 4 stack
Ashma Posted - 12/05/2011 : 14:16:43
So its basically like sealing a window joint then? Whack the sealant in the gap and leave to set? Will definitely seek some out!
Invalid User Posted - 12/05/2011 : 14:07:41
Aquarium sealent is what most peope use. Sealing the joins help stop any moisture (from wee, poos and tipped water bowls etc) getting into the pannels and causing damage.
Ashma Posted - 12/05/2011 : 14:03:57
Hmmm, I'll have a look out for the sealant this weekend then. I get all my stuff from a local shop called Little Beasties. I'm sure they'll have something for me to use. I'll have to let you all know how I get on!
Lucy1012 Posted - 12/05/2011 : 13:50:46
as for the sealant, you need to buy it seperately, i didn't bother doing mine, I can't tell you if this will be detrimental to the viv or not as i have only had it running for a month or so..

I bought mine from Surrey Pet Supplies they sell the sealant i beleive...
Lucy1012 Posted - 12/05/2011 : 13:47:05
I know, i need to use another method but i don't want to permanantly attach it to the floor of the viv, at the moment she doesn't go anywhere near where the tape is but as she gets bigger and spreads out I am sure she will. Maybe blue tac willdo the trick...
Invalid User Posted - 12/05/2011 : 13:21:23
quote:
Originally posted by Lucy1012

To be honest (I know it is a big no no) but i used gafer tape to secure the mat and the stat probe as i was fed up with it moving about, then covered with a layer of aspen and not had any problems, youch wood..

I really would suggest you remove the tape and use another method.
Ashma Posted - 12/05/2011 : 13:18:19
Phew glad to hear that! Rather excited about getting them now!
I think I'll use a hide at first and then look into other options depending on how well it works out.

With regards to sealing - does the sealant come with or is this something I need to get myself?
Lucy1012 Posted - 12/05/2011 : 13:12:28
I have recently bought an LX24 for a yearling corn and it is faultless. To be honest (I know it is a big no no) but i used gafer tape to secure the mat and the stat probe as i was fed up with it moving about, then covered with a layer of aspen and not had any problems, youch wood.. I use a dust pan to scoop out most of the aspen when cleaning then suck the rest up with the hoover.. spray and refill takes no time at all... when it is time to upgrade her to her 3ft viv, iwillbe going for the same range (stackable) or maybe the VX... make sure you seal them though when building otherwise it make the warranty invalid...
Ailsa Posted - 12/05/2011 : 12:58:39
well yes it would look silly empty, better with a nice young snakie in it lol
Ashma Posted - 12/05/2011 : 12:48:45
I have literally forged a space for vivs in my spare bedroom! My other half is blissfully unaware that I'm slowly turning the 'guest bedroom' into a animal sanctuary!

Just have to explain tonight that, due to the move, I now have a spare faun.....which would look silly if I left it unoccupied ;)
Ailsa Posted - 12/05/2011 : 12:40:09
Ashma Posted - 12/05/2011 : 12:30:57
They really caught my eye when I saw them, so I'm glad they're easy to assemble! :)
Agree with the pricey comment, but I'm lucky in that I have a little extra cash to throw around this month and what better way to use it than to treat my boys!

I'll probably go with hide idea. Don't want to start messing around with sealant to be fair.

Cheers guys
Sta~ple Posted - 12/05/2011 : 12:15:03
I have the 4ft stacks, they are nice to look at but very pricey. They also take a while in monthly cleans to clean with aspen and decor. I have a hide over my heatmat too to keep it in place.
HannahB Posted - 12/05/2011 : 11:56:49
I've got the LX 36 vivstacks and really like them, easy to put together and nice to look at,
I use aspen but didn't attach the mat to the floor, just attached the stat probe to the mat with some sealant and left the mat loose - just put a hide over it to keep it in the right place, you can use sealant but it would need to be left for at least 24-36hrs to make sure the fumes dissipate completely

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000