The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Hissing Cornsnake

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Serj Posted - 06/05/2011 : 19:14:03
Hello,Just before dinner I decided to take Rango out for his 20minutes or should I say mine! but for the first time he hissed(2 times)but I decided that he was coming out and when he was in my hands he was fine. When they hiss are you meant just to leave them alone?
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
boost-boy74 Posted - 06/05/2011 : 23:07:33
my royal was the same - just pick him up he will soon calm down.....
xoLauraox Posted - 06/05/2011 : 22:18:49
Ava has done this a couple of times aswel, and then once out shes fine... shes normally a darling to handle.. luvs my attention on her lol... i guess corns can get grumpy to.... i say still get him out when he does this - like most have said on here, he will come to associate it with u staying away.
lotabob Posted - 06/05/2011 : 21:11:25
I would say the exception to just picking them up regardless is when they are shedding. I'm lucky that Spot is calm when shedding but even he will vibrate his body when picking him up and he is shedding. Once I see the signs I leave him alone until he sheds.

Its good practice though keeping your nerve with a hissing corn snake because when you hear a Boa or even worse a python hiss you really need to be SO brave to just keep going, I have a ASBO royal python, when he hisses the neighbours go check their car tyres.
Mamma Posted - 06/05/2011 : 20:07:14
you just need to stay firm if they know you will leave them be etc they will continue to hiss xx
Ailsa Posted - 06/05/2011 : 19:37:26
I've not experienced the hissing, biting corn that thinks it's a rattle snake lol but i am prepared lol
ptmbradley Posted - 06/05/2011 : 19:30:01
I'm only a month old snake keeper, so no expert, but I think that if you leave them when they hiss, the snake will learn that hissing will keep you away and keep doing it. My Pandora was being exceptionally aggressive last week and I didn't understand why until I realised she was in shed, and most snakes tend to be more defensive at that time apparently.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000