Hissing Cornsnake
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Serj
Snake Mite

21 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  19:14:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,Just before dinner I decided to take Rango out for his 20minutes or should I say mine! but for the first time he hissed(2 times)but I decided that he was coming out and when he was in my hands he was fine. When they hiss are you meant just to leave them alone?

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  19:30:01  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm only a month old snake keeper, so no expert, but I think that if you leave them when they hiss, the snake will learn that hissing will keep you away and keep doing it. My Pandora was being exceptionally aggressive last week and I didn't understand why until I realised she was in shed, and most snakes tend to be more defensive at that time apparently.

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  19:37:26  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've not experienced the hissing, biting corn that thinks it's a rattle snake lol but i am prepared lol

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  20:07:14  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you just need to stay firm if they know you will leave them be etc they will continue to hiss xx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  21:11:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say the exception to just picking them up regardless is when they are shedding. I'm lucky that Spot is calm when shedding but even he will vibrate his body when picking him up and he is shedding. Once I see the signs I leave him alone until he sheds.

Its good practice though keeping your nerve with a hissing corn snake because when you hear a Boa or even worse a python hiss you really need to be SO brave to just keep going, I have a ASBO royal python, when he hisses the neighbours go check their car tyres.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

xoLauraox
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  22:18:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ava has done this a couple of times aswel, and then once out shes fine... shes normally a darling to handle.. luvs my attention on her lol... i guess corns can get grumpy to.... i say still get him out when he does this - like most have said on here, he will come to associate it with u staying away.

x Never tell me the sky's the limit, when there are footprints upon the moon x
Go to Top of Page

boost-boy74
Egg

58 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  23:07:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my royal was the same - just pick him up he will soon calm down.....

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000