The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Keeping heat right

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ailsa Posted - 05/05/2011 : 10:53:39
How do you keep the heat in hatchling fauns? At the mo I have Dakota's faun sitting on top of 2 cork mats, then 2 bits of folded tinfoil the size of the heat mat, with heat mat on top and then faun sitting on it, the stat prob is on top of heat mat and digi therm probe on bottom of faun is same position as the stat probe and under a layer of substrate. There is no probs with the temps, it is between 28.5 and 29.5*C warm end and around 18-20*C cool end, I am just wondering if a polystyrene tile would be better?
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kopite_di Posted - 05/05/2011 : 18:09:48
Chris, can you use pulse prop in faunarium or should i wait until she is in a viv ?? my temps are between 28/29.5 now :)
a33272 Posted - 05/05/2011 : 13:17:31
quote:
Originally posted by Ailsa

just want to make sure im doing things properly chris, finally starting to not worry so much, wish snakes were as easy as cats lol

you doing just fine ailsa
a33272 Posted - 05/05/2011 : 13:16:52
quote:
Originally posted by Rake

i have exactly same prob with mine using the same stat, have the same set up except i have tinfoil wrapped in a towel with mat on top only fluctuates now between 28-30c, seems it takes time for the heat to build up i raised the stat temp slightly to get it just right now

its just a charactoristic of an on/off stat there notorious for it. i first used a on/off stat but was getting really big fluxuactions i couldnt overcome so bit the bullet an got a pulse prop stat. an with that im looking at now more that 1/2 a degree fluxuation. dont get me wrong on/off are good an there cheap, but pulse prop do hold the temp more precise
Ailsa Posted - 05/05/2011 : 13:09:48
just want to make sure im doing things properly chris, finally starting to not worry so much, wish snakes were as easy as cats lol
Rake Posted - 05/05/2011 : 13:03:09
i have exactly same prob with mine using the same stat, have the same set up except i have tinfoil wrapped in a towel with mat on top only fluctuates now between 28-30c, seems it takes time for the heat to build up i raised the stat temp slightly to get it just right now
a33272 Posted - 05/05/2011 : 13:02:51
youve done well to get it set up so u have such a small fluxuation :)
Ailsa Posted - 05/05/2011 : 12:57:59
yeah it goes on then off but i have a digi thermom which i keep an eye on
a33272 Posted - 05/05/2011 : 12:55:21
if its a mini stat then it works like a mat stat which is an on/off stat. these types of stats are known to give a few degrees fluxuaction in hot end temps
Ailsa Posted - 05/05/2011 : 12:32:22
chris its a microclimate stat im using, got it from blue lizard reptiles and after a little tweeking i've not got it right, i do keep a good eye on it.
a33272 Posted - 05/05/2011 : 12:28:20
your temps are fine ailsa an if ya using a mat stat u got very little fuctuation there which is very good as most people come on asking why there getting hot end temos between 26-29 etc. u got a one degree variation which is ace :)
Invalid User Posted - 05/05/2011 : 10:57:58
I don't use anything other than a heat strip under the rubs. No foil, no tile. Thermostat probe is stuck down to the heatstrip and digital thermomete in each rub.

Temps hold great, 27-30c for the corns and brb. 30-33c for the boas, kings, hognose and jungles.

Simples :D

If your temps are fine, why change it?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000